The Sectumsempra of My Life

Harry-

Percy's been distracted lately. Every now and then, he'll stare off into space with a really concentrated look, sometimes wouldn't respond until several attempts of calling his name. Other times he looks really tired, as if he hadn't had a good night's sleep in days. His hair appeared more disheveled than normal, his eyes looked tired- light bags forming under them. All in all, it was as foreign as America. I had never seen Percy like this, never expected to see Percy like this, and for some reason I felt... betrayed. As if he wasn't supposed to look like that, like he was supposed to be this perfect person with no problems. I guess, in a way, I had started to look up to him

It was silly, considering how little time I had known him. Not to mention he hadn't done anything that typically warranted admiration. But I did, and it was painful to watch him like this. I tried to talk to him, many times, but he just dismissed it as nothing I needed to worry about. If it was worrying him, as his friend, I needed to worry about it too. I wanted to talk to Ron and Hermione about it, but despite their peace with Percy, I felt like their motives weren't as pure as they said they were. Great, now I'm doubting my friends. At that moment, Percy decided to walk into the great hall. It looked like he'd gotten more sleep, but it also looked like he was more worried.

"Well you look refreshed, I was starting to think you were turning into a zombie!" Ron joked.

"Well, I don't crave brains so that's a good sign. Sorry I've been a little distracted lately, just been having bad dreams." Hermione nodded sympathetically and I wondered, what could he have bad dreams about? He seemed like a carefree guy, as if he has an easy life.

"Have they stopped? I noticed you look a lot more worried today." Percy shrugged noncommittally.

"Just worried that they'll come back." His answer made perfect sense, but I got the feeling that he was lying. He didn't seem apprehensive, more like he was worried about something that he knew was going to happen. I didn't point it out though, there was a reason he didn't share and I wasn't going to pressure him. "Plus, you know, Snape's detention. It's a real horn in the side."

"Thorn in the side." Hermione corrected him.

"What?"

"The saying is 'Thorn in the side,' not horn." Percy squinted at her.

"I know, it's just a preferred modification." There was an uncomfortable silence where Hermione flushed, and Ron looked between them.  We ate in silence for a while, the sound of chewing, slurping, and chatter surrounding us. I was left to my thoughts. I was glad Percy was getting more sleep, but I was also worried about what nightmares he could have. He didn't seem like a guy who carried a lot of burdens, so what could he dream about that would scare him? Soon it was time to head to the first class of the day, Herbology.

Percy-

It started the night I left Snape's detention. I had reached the common room, muttering the password to the portrait. Once inside I had settled in an arm chair, thinking about Snape. According to one of the books Hecate gave me, Snape was a former Death Eater. Not many people knew, really only Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagal, and the other Death Eaters. The Ministry knew, but he had pledge allegiance to them, agreeing that if he stepped out of line, straight to Azkaban. But Voldemort was coming back, and whether he wanted to or not, Snape would have to resume being a Death Eater. Besides that whole ordeal, Snape was an intelligent man, I had no doubt that if I wasn't careful, I could jeopardize the mission.

After half an hour of thinking, I had finally decided to go to bed. I said goodnight to the few remaining Gryffindors, and climbed up to the dormitories. Inside, there were some boys changing, others chatting or reading, I could hear the shower on. I walked over to my bed, nodding to Harry and climbed in, kicking off my shoes. I had been too mentally tired to get in my pj's. My head hit the pillow, and soon, I was asleep.