2. A Home Away From Home

I leave you with a gift of Kalley at the 🔝

Enjoy!

******

I looked up from my phone as soon as we pulled in the driveway and for a few seconds I was tongue-tied.

Mum rounded the car and opened my door to help me with the small luggage I'd packed.

It wasn't till she looked at me funny that I realized I've been staring at the house in awe. I couldn't help it. It was beautiful.

All these years I'd lived with my father it had always been her who travelled back and forth to see me on holidays or birthdays. I haven't set a foot here in forever. Now I couldn't understand why I never grew the courage to come back. This was where I belonged. It was always here.

The memories I cherished since my childhood all came crushing back to me: Christmas with grandma and grandpa, dad carefuly pushing me in the old tire swing on the back yard, family's get-togethers. They left a bitter-sweet taste along with them reminding me I would never experience times like those again.

Back when I was little the house belonged to my grandma and grandpa, but after my parents divorced my mother came back to live with them since she didn't have a stable job or a place to stay. It had been three years since my grandparents passed away and left the house to my mother. Not that she needed economical help now...

I step out of the car still mesmerized by the view in front of me.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Her voice came from behind me and I could only nod completely speachless.

The house was a little too big for someone who lived all alone. White walls covered the front and a mass of vivid green plants cascaded down the balconys on the first floor. A few colourful flowers playing hide and seek here and there. But the thing I loved the most were the high-ceiling windows and doors which gave the house an antique look. An image of grandpa holding me on a rocking chair as we gazed up at the stars flashed before me.

Mum carried my bag up the front stairs and I followed her inside taking in my surroundings as she kept chatting."I'm so happy I get to share the house with you honey. It's always so silent in here."

Sadness covered her features at the end of her sentence, but it was gone before I could question her about it. It struck me then how lonely she might be living here. She had no family left, so, except for a few friends, she had no one. As far as I know she'd never even dated since her marriage fell apart. Now I am glad that I'd decided to come back, because despite of being a grown up woman, she needed someone to take care of her. Someone to spend time with and talk for hours. Knowing her, the last one is the one she misses the most.

After a small tour across the house, mum left me to unpack while she finished cooking lunch.

All my old things were already there. I'd have to thank her for that later. I took a few steps into the bedroom, my eyes drawn to the only furniture that wasn't familiar. The queen sized bed stood proudly in the middle of the room, calling for attention in a patterned comforter that showcasted all kinds of colors. My study desk had been settled against the wall, some of the novels I'd left behind stacked on top. To my right was the closet and with just one look I could tell it was too big for the amount of clothes I'd packed. The white fluffy rug I used to lie in when I scurried into my room to read laid at the side of the bed. And on the nightstand, my glow in the dark lamp. I wouldn't be in need of that one now, but it gave the room a familiarity that made it right.

What never failed was the view. From up here you could see the backyard and the tire swing. I've always loved it. And mum knew.

It wasn't long before I'd finished placing my clothes in the closet, considering there weren't tons of them to begin with. A quick shower and a half hour later, I was already making my way downstairs towards the kitchen.