33. Gone South

It was after cupcakes, a long hug from Ceecee and the promise to come back soon. We were on the way back home after I had called my mother to let her know we'd be a few minutes late. She had sounded so happy on the phone it made me think there wasn't much my boyfriend could do that would place him out of my mother's good graces.

Ryan had a hand on the wheel, face pensive as he stared out the windshield into the night. The street lights illuminated his profile and I found myself on a trance as I leaned back and stared at him.

Warmth hit my chest.

He was just so handsome.

I couldn't help but wonder if this was how it felt to be in love. To be so attuned to someone you could feel their presence as soon as they entered a room. To lose your line of thought every time you looked into their eyes. Did everyone feel this overwhelmed by this emotion? Or most importantly, did he?

Tearing my eyes away from Ryan's profile I looked down at the hand he had resting on my thigh, fingers interlaced through mine. 

I didn't have much experience with relationships, but the way Ryan stared at me had to mean something right?

I pondered on this as my thumb absently traced circles on the inside of his palm.

"Thanks for putting up with my ma and sister." Ryan's voice broke my line of thought and my head snapped up.

A smile curved my lips. "I like them. It was no hardship. Plus the cupcakes were the bomb."

He casted a sideways glance at the full tupper I was holding on my lap. "Good thing, considering you have provisions for the whole winter in there."

Cecilia had insisted that I take a few home with me to share with my mother or eat for breakfast. I couldn't say no to her. I never expected her to hand me a whole tupper though.

I chuckled. "I don't think they'll last that long."

He hummed as his fingers drummed against the steering wheel. "My girl has a sweet tooth."

"Yep. Take that into account for when you mess up."

"Already predicting I'll mess up?"

My shoulders lifted innocently. "Just giving you a heads up."

"Right."

"You can note that down on your notebook." I joked.

"Then I hope I'll never have to search for that page."

I smiled warmly at him and turned to face forward, watching the streets pass by. I did this for a few minutes as my mind cast back to the things I learned that day.

There was one special one that was nagging at me. But I was having trouble bringing it up. I didn't know what Ryan's reaction would be and I didn't want to ruin the mood either.

But still, I needed to know. I wouldn't accept being kept in the dark any longer.

So I took a chance.

"I talked with Char." 

I waited for his attention. 

At the mention of his sister a smile started to tug at the corner of his lips. "Yeah, I noticed. I had to haul myself upstairs to get you back after all..."

True.

"Yeah, well..." I trailed off as I watched my fingers play with his and considered how to proceed.

"Twiggie?" Ryan said.

"Huh?"

"You talked to Char and...?" He prodded.