29. Reckless Play

When Ryan dropped me off at home that evening tiny droplets of rain had started to fall. The dark clouds that had taken over the skies promised that the light rain wouldn't last for long.

Ryan had lend me his bomber jacket when he saw me shuddering outside the field house and--after waving goodbye to the girls--proceeded to lead me to his car with a hand at my lower back.

It was a good thing I had his jacket on because it turned useful when I had to walk the short track from Ryan's car to my door. After hearing me confirm yet again that I would be ready for lunch tomorrow when he showed to pick me up, he had pulled me to him for a goodbye kiss.

I'd had to break away, laughing and escaping his traitorous hands when he tried to pull me back to him. I wanted to get into my house before the real rain came pouring down so I had to make a dash for the door handle before he could stop me.

I was surprised to see the lights on when I stepped into the porch. It wasn't unusual for my mother to come home early, but more often than not there was a reason behind it.

With her work schedule full we still hadn't gotten much time to spend together. I wanted to, but I couldn't throw that on her face when I knew she did everything possible to be there for me whenever I needed her.

After that last date she went to a few weeks ago the skin of her face shone brighter, there was a new spark in the depths of her eyes. She had always been beautiful to me, but now...I still couldn't understand how she managed to stay single for so long.

I was happy for her. My wish had always been for her to find a man that would take care of her and value her beauty but also her character. It seemed like this Derek guy was doing something right.

I made my way inside, dropping my keys in the china bowl beside the door. "Mum? I'm home."

"In the kitchen!" She replied.

As I walked further into the house the smell of popcorn invaded my senses.

I took a long whiff.

Nothing compared to the smell of popcorn except maybe eating them.

My feet speed up as I entered the kitchen and saw my mother at the stove stirring something on a pot. It wasn't hard to guess what the mystery food was.

"Are you making popcorn? Please tell me you are making popcorn." My wild gaze scanned over the counter searching for a full bowl.

Mom chuckled. "Hi honey, I thought maybe we could have a movie night. What do you say?"

"I say yess!" I cried. "You are the best mom. You know that I love you right? I love you so much I can't even begin to describe how much."

She turned to me with a smile. "Someone is happy today."

My answering smile said it all.

"How was the game?"

I shrugged. "I suppose it was fine. The guys gave their best and..." I paused for suspense. "We won!"

"I never doubted it. That boyfriend of yours has talent. Even I've heard about it and I know nothing about football."

My eyes went to the window that overlooked the yard as I recalled how he had looked at me when he climbed over the bleachers. "Yeah. He's something. He applied for a scholarship at several colleges. But he hasn't told me anything yet, whether they accepted him or not."

My mother came forward to drop an arm around my shoulders. "You are worried."

My shoulders went up and down. "You know how this things are. By the end of the year I end up going one way and he ends up going the opposite direction."

She gave me a squeeze. "That's not always how it works. You could find universities close to each other." She offered, but she knew as well as I did that wasn't always possible.

"There's no need to worry about it now." She cupped my chin in her hand and tilted my face towards hers. "I know you worry and it's completely normal to do so. This last year is a lot of pressure. You not only have to think about yourself, but also about those around you and I understand that completely. I just want you to know that I will support you in any choice you make."

I offered a wobbly smile.

"But also, I want you to reflect on your relationship with Ryan because the fact that you are worried about your future plans let's me know just how much you are investing into it. I don't want you to hold back because some fear of loosing what little you have. The purpose of life is to take risks. If you never risk you never truly live."

She was right, of course.

I had told myself so many times I was ready to take the risk so why was I now second-guessing myself?

It wasn't that I didn't want a relationship with Ryan, because I did.

I did.

The thing was that taking that leap of faith took courage. It was one thing to say it and another to live it. After years of going through the motions I was now finally living in the unexpected. And that scared the hell out of me.

My mother was right though, I couldn't hold back. Not now. Not when I was living the dream. Not when love was knocking at my door.

When I left my old life behind in Danville and came to this new me here in Marietta, I never imagined I'd find someone like Ryan.

Someone whom I wanted to spend all my time with. Someone with whom I could share everything. Someone who would be there for me always.

I never expected to find love, but I did.

I was in love with Ryan and the realization made my knees weak.

That was what love was. A risk.

You put you heart out there giving another person the power to crush you or mend you.

Loving someone was a reckless play.

Old Kalley would have run to the nearest hole to hide.

New Kalley was ready to take the challenge head on.

***
a/n: Short and sweet. I just finished writing this on a rush because I wanted to update this chapter for you guys 💛 I hope you enjoy it!