Home Is Where The Heart Is

Monica

"Yes...mhm..." my pen scribbled as I quickly wrote down the information that was being told to me. "Thank you so much have a great day." I hung up my phone and jumped onto the hotel bed full of excitement.

"What we celebrating?" Miracle asked popping Cheetos into her mouth.

"Guess who just got her old job back?" I smiled pointing my thumbs towards me.

"No way! That fast!?"

"Yup." I popped the P and hugged Miracle tightly.

"So we're really moving?"

"Yea. Sooner now that I know I have a job waiting for me."

She sat on the bed and looked down with gloom in her eyes.

"You don't wanna leave?"

"It's not that. It's just I don't wanna leave dad behind."

"I know. Trust me, it's hard for me as well. But we gotta move forward." I grabbed her hand reassuring her that everything was going to be okay.

Although I did hate the fact that King can't come with us I felt like we were taking a big step forward. As much as I wanna sit by King's hospital bed and wait for him to take a breath on his own and open his eyes I can't. With him being down money had to be made. I have to be Miracle's mother and father right now. And if moving is what I have to do to make that happen then damnit that's what I'm gonna do.

"So when are we leaving?"

"I was thinking tomorrow morning."

"Well can we spend our last night here with dad?"

"Of course."

"I'm gonna go and get breakfast." Miracle grabbed her mini backpack and cellphone. "You want anything?"

"Yea blu-"

"Blueberry muffin with syrup on top. Don't even know why I asked." Miracle left.

I laughed and shook my head. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't smile like I do everyday.

After Miracle left I grabbed some fresh clothes and entered the bathroom. I turned the shower knob to the right letting the water warm up. While waiting I began to wash my face free from those hospital germs.

Seeing the steam rise from the top of the shower I stepped inside letting the water instantly hit my back. I tilted my head back letting my hair absorb the water. I lathered up with the lavender soap that was provided and washed my body.

After ten more minutes I got out and wrapped a towel around me. I went over to the sink and began to brush out my kinky hair. While brushing I noticed that piece of paper Morg gave me the other day.

I put my brush down and stared at the ten digits. I picked up my phone and entered the number. Just as I was about to pressed call I heard Miracle walk in.

"Mom! I got your muffin."

I placed my phone back on the counter top and continued to dry off. I'm pretty sure the number belonged to one of the many men Morgan was with back home. Besides she told me to use it when things got rocky and as of right now I'm rolling smoothly.
*

*

*

"Ma come on." Miracle whined waiting for me at the top of the steps.

"Girl. You try going up six flights of steps at my age." I stopped catching my breath. Since the elevator wasn't working we had to take the steps all the way to King's floor.