Anonymous

Miracle

The wind blew through my hair that sat on my shoulders as I waited on the front steps for CJ. It's been a hour and he still hasn't showed up.

I sighed and pulled my knees to my chest watching as cars passed slowly.

"You look a little sad. Maybe this will cheer you up."

Once I turned my head the other direction I saw CJ standing there with a Twix in his hands. Which happens to be my favorite chocolate.

"You thought I wasn't coming huh?" He laughed sitting next to me on the old wooden steps.

"Mhm. It took you long enough to get here." I opened the Twix and took a bite licking the caramel from my lips.

"Sorry. My grandmother was tripping. She wouldn't let me borrow the car so I had to walk."

"It's fine. You must live with her now?" I questioned out of curiosity.

He shrugged. "I might as well. Don't know the last time I've seen my parents."

CJ was such a hard book that I wasn't able to read. He barely opened up to me.

"What do your parents do for a living that causes them to be gone so often?" I turned my body towards him.

"It doesn't matter. Their jobs aren't the reason I don't see them. They just don't care about me."

"Oh don't say that. I'm pretty sure they love you."

He shook his head no. "My mother just keeps me around just to get my dad to stay. And my dad just keeps me around for image."

I sighed not knowing what to say. "Well if it makes you feel any better my biological mother died when I was born."

He looked up at me. "That's suppose to make me feel better?"

I began laughing and he did as well. We sat there in silence for a moment while I laid my head on his shoulder. The temperature began to drop  causing me to shiver.

"Wanna go inside? It's getting chilly."

"Sure." I stood up dusting the back of my pants and CJ followed me inside the house.

"This your place?" CJ asked looking around. "Kind of old."

"No. This is my Grandma's house. I'm staying here for a couple weeks." I grabbed blankets from the hallway closet.

"The Henderson Family Christmas." CJ said reading the title of a family picture. "Who's that?" He asked pointing.

I walked over and saw he was pointing to mama. "That's my mom."

"Thought you said she died."

"Well that's my Aunt Monica. But she took care of me all my life so I call her mom."

"And who's that."

"My uncle."

"And that?"

"My dad."

"Wait what? Your dad and mom are brother and sister? Type of shit is that?"

"It's complicated okay." I laughed sitting on the couch pulling CJ down with me.

The door swung open just as I leaned in to kiss him.

"Aye Miracle! Granny whooped ass at bingo." Jr yelled coming around the corner. He stopped dead in his tracks seeing me sitting next to CJ.

"What he doing in here!? You need to go!" Jr said yelling at CJ.

"You can't make him leave."

"You right but I know who can. Unc."