Wake Up Call

Monica

The pancake mix poured slowly into the skillet making a perfect circle shape. The bacon popped inside the oven getting crispy and crunchy and the grits cooked on the stove.

"Smellin' good in here sis." Nick said coming inside with King behind him. They both smelled like smoke and I thought I was gonna be sick at any moment.

"What you cooking." King placed his hands on my waist.

"Bacon is in the oven. Grits are on the stove. And I'm making pancakes now." I flipped over a pancake.

"Sounds good. Would be even better with that famous French toast you use to make." Nick commented.

I opened the warmer and pulled out the plate of French toast I had made earlier.

"I swear you the best." Nick said reaching for a piece but I pushed his hands away.

"Wait until all the food is done."

He smacked his lips and I laughed but instantly stopped feeling yesterday's lunch coming up.

"Uh Miracle. Scramble the eggs, finish up the pancakes and take the bacon out the oven." I ordered jogging up the stairs covering my mouth. I dashed into the bathroom and literally spilled my guts into the toilet.

After cleaning myself up I sat on the floor picking up my phone. I dialed the prison Morg was in needing someone to talk to.

"Houston penitentiary." A guard answered the phone.

"Hi. Can I speak with an inmate please."

"Who are you trying to reach?"

"Morgan Garcia."

It got quiet then the officer came back. "Ma'am I'm sorry but that inmate has had to many phone calls this week."

"Sir please."

"No can do. Each inmate are allowed to have one phone call a week. Garcia has had five."

"It's an emergency sir!" I paused than began fake crying. "Someone in our family was in a tragic accident and I really need to tell her."

"Ma'am I'm sorry but-"

"Please." I bawled trying to persuade him.

He sighed loudly. "You have exactly three minutes. After the three minutes the call with drop automatically."

I waited a couple minutes and heard Morgan's voice on the other end.

"Hey Mo. Everything okay?"

"No. Nothing is okay in my life right now."

"I'm listening girl. Make it quick though we don't have much time."

"You know King's back right."

"Yea. That's what I tried to tell you the other day."

"And you know Nick's back as well."

"Yes Monica. I know girl I know. Tell me something I don't know."

"I'm pregnant."