Epilogue

Nervous was an understatement. I was beyond that level right now. My hand shook slightly as I adjusted my navy blue tie around my neck in the mirror. Despite how I was feeling, there was only one thing on my mind—Claire. I couldn't stop thinking about how cute she looks when she gives me that glare. Ah, that glare makes me smile like a Cheshire Cat.  She does it every time I say something sarcastic or snarky to her. If only she knew that I do it purposely just to see her expression.

She probably does though, even if she hasn't admitted it. She probably has already looked inside my mind and seen why I do it. Maybe she hasn't said anything because she loves the little game we play—the one I always win.

"Julian." I heard my best friend call my name, and I turned to find him leaning against the doorframe.

"Are you ready yet, or are you just going to keep fiddling with your tie like a nervous, little girl." Tristan's eyes sparkled with humor.

"Oh, like you weren't nervous when you married Eretria," I remarked, making my annoyance clear in my tone.

"Calm down," Tristan laughed. "I was only joking. And, for your information, I was nervous because I was finally marrying the love of my life and then having my coronation to become King right after, but you already knew that because you were there and read my mind."

I gave Tristan my best death glare and rolled my eyes. I reached to mess with my tie again, but I saw Tristan watching me carefully. I clenched my jaw and downed a glass of whiskey instead, slamming the now empty glass down on the end table.

"Okay, let's go." I took in a deep breath.

I pushed passed Tristan, bumping his shoulder on the way out. He simply shook his head and followed me because he knew how I was.  Our friendship worked for us.

As we made our way down the hall, humans and vampires were running around like mad men. Since Tristan became King, he introduced us to the human world, making the plan of coexistence come true. After the initial shock and fear, the humans actually took it well. The whole vampire craze that was created by movies and T.V. shows helped with that.

It turns out, we didn't really need blood banks when humans were jumping at the chance to get bitten by a vampire. Now, we have humans working in the castle, which works out when we need a snack.

We finally reached the huge double doors that led into the chapel, and I stopped.

What now? I heard in Tristan's head.

I turned around to meet his impatient eyes.

"I just need a minute," I seethed through gritted teeth.

"What for? She's your soulmate," Tristan pointed out like it was information I didn't know.  "You've been waiting for her for hundreds of years."

"Wow, I didn't know that, brother," I replied sarcastically.  "I'm so glad you're here."

"Julian..." Tristan's voice trailed off.

"Okay," I took a breath and looked at him again. "Okay! I just don't want to say the wrong thing. I want it to be perfect."

Tristan laughed at me while shaking his head and then patted me on my shoulder.

"It's you. You're going to say the wrong thing, but luckily you have a girl that doesn't mind."

With that, Tristan opened the doors and walked through, revealing a bunch of people sitting on each side of the aisle. I took a deep breath in before I made my way to my spot, passing bunches of Claire's favorite flower that lined each row of seating. I stood on the platform and looked out at the double doors that my soon to be wife would walk through.  Just the thought of her in a white dress made all worries fade away.

Violins and piano filled my ears, releasing me from my thoughts. As I looked up, my eyes met the most beautiful, brown eyes that I have ever laid my eyes on. They instantly found mine, causing her lip to twitch upwards. A simple white dress with thin straps and a sweetheart neckline clung to her frame. It was tight on top, then flowed down to the floor, which fit her perfectly. She locked arms with Celine on one side and Eretria on the other, both wearing navy blue dresses that matched mine and Tristan's tie. They walked down the aisle in tune to the music.

I watched her, not wanting to miss a single detail.  Finally, my soulmate was right in front of the platform. Celine and Eretria both gave her a hug before she stepped up to the alter and faced me.  The priest started to talk, but I didn't hear what he was saying. The only thing I could focus on was Claire's pink lips that were slightly parted and the way the light from the cathedral window illuminated her soft features.

The priest said something else and Claire looked at me, expectantly. I realized it must have been something important and raised my eyebrows at the priest.

"Your vows."

Oh.

I grabbed Claire's hand and held it in mine, gently tracing my thumb along her pale skin. Electricity from the bond sparked between us. 

I took in a deep breath and began to speak.  "The day I found you was the luckiest day of my life, but you already knew that," I gave her a knowing smile. "I've waited for you for so long.  When we danced at the ball, it was the best time I've had in a long time, and I thought that I would have to keep replaying that moment in my mind in order to feel that again. Then, I realized that I didn't need to because I felt that whenever I was with you.  When you said, 'Get out of there'—that was the moment i was yours. That was the moment I knew that I would never be able to get you out of my head.  So, standing here at this alter, I want you to know that today is also my lucky day because I get to marry the girl who thought she could outrun a devilishly-handsome vampire..."  Claire stifled a laugh, which made me smile.  "It's also your lucky day too because you get to deal with me for the rest of your life."

A tear ran down Claire's cheek as she let out one of her melodious laughs.  I wiped it away with my thumb, but my hand lingered there for a few moments more.

"Claire?" The priest said her name to let her know it was her turn.

She cleared her throat.  "I know you weren't the man of my dreams, literally."  She said that to get me back for my smart remark at the end of my vows, and I loved it. I watched the fire spark in her brown eyes as they looked into mine. My mouth twitched into a smirk.

"But, it's because I didn't know you existed. I didn't know that I could possibly fall for a snarky, sarcastic, self-obsessed guy who knows how to push my buttons, but also knows how to make me laugh, make me smile, and make my heart flutter at the sight of that smirk that makes me go insane at the same time. The love I have with you isn't what I've dreamed about. It's not even close, because the love we have consumes me completely, which is better than a stupid dream. It's so much more, and it's ours."

I couldn't tear my eyes from her perfect, beautiful face. She was right. What we have is ours, and we get to experience together for eternity, which is better than anyone could ever dream of.

"Do you, Sir Julian Mateo Espada, take Claire Marie Fields to be your wife?" I heard the priest say.

"I do," I said lowly as I gazed into her eyes.

"And do you, Claire Marie Fields, take Sir Julian Mateo Espada to be your husband?"

"I do," she agreed with a smile, never leaving my gaze.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

I didn't hesitate for a second. I grabbed Claire and pulled her close with my hand holding the side of her neck. I then crashed my lips against hers, sealing my promise of forever to her.