08. cookie dough

It only takes one click to vote for my story ;) And make sure to play the song when it's mentioned.

"Put it in drive, I'll be outside, I'll be on the way"

***

BREAKING NEWS: THE BEATINGS OF TWO GAY MEN HAVE POLICE IN OAKLAND ENRAGED. ONE IS IN CRITICAL CONDITION WHILE THE OTHER REFUSES TO SPEAK.

I looked up from the bowl of cookie dough and directed my attention to the TV in the living room, frowning at the screen. Momma shook her head at the news as she continued to roll the dough into small circles. 

"You would think after they legalized gay marriage the crime rate would go down, those poor boys," she sympathized.

"It's what they deserve," my father chimed in from the living room. "Gay marriage didn't need to be legalized in the first place." 

Momma frowned at his words. "Now I wouldn't say all that, they just need redemption," she told. 

There are two types of homophobes in this world; people like my mother, who keep their thoughts to themselves and people like my father, who verbally express their feelings towards gay people. 

I, on the other hand, didn't have a problem with anybody. You like what you like.

"Pandora you better not be turnin' our son into a fairy with all that baking and shit!" he half-joked. 

I looked down at myself in a mint green apron and then to the cookie dough in my hands, I was helping momma make cookies for Sarai's bake sale. 

When I say my father is old-fashioned, I mean he's hella old-fashioned. He has that mindset that cooking and cleaning is for women while men sit back and watch basketball. Creative shit like photography or art is for white people and the only time he'll accept if someone is gay if they're a girl and bisexual, other than that it's 'disgusting'.