5. Show & Tell

I was in world culture class sitting across from Caleb listening to Woody's report

"So then, the dude punches the shark in the face!" Woody, expressed as he gestured a fist at my face, which gave me a weirded-out expression. We had been assigned to write an essay on a city and country. I had written a report about Auckland, New Zealand while Caleb had one about Sydney, Australia since he had relatives who lived there. However, Woody wrote about a lame movie that took place in Hawaii.

"And surfs this killer wave all the way back to Honolulu, where he and his hula babe feast on opakapaka with cheese," Woody continued and mimed at the same time.

The rest of the class applauded except me knowing that he would get a bad grade on it.

"Woody, this is a class on world culture. You were supposed to do a report on a city, not some low-budget surfer flick," Miss Tutweiller told him as he was about to head back to his desk.

"Hey! Waves of Terror was very educational. I learned about waves and terror," Woody remarked defending himself.

"Well, you're terrifying me, sit."

Woody sat at his desk as Miss Tutweiller got up.

"Hawaii is, in fact, a beautiful state with a rich history and a wealth of natural resources. Now who can name one of the chief exports of Hawaii?" she asked glancing around the room.

Cody, Bailey and I raised our heads. I too knew a full list of the state's main exports since I grew up on Hawaii before my parents divorced.

"London?" Miss Tutweiller turned to her as I placed my hand down.

"Huh?" London looked up from filing her nails.

There were times I wished she would pay more attention in class.

"Can you name one of the chief exports of Hawaii?" our teacher inquired.

"Uh...Hawaiians," London replied.

"Flowers, sugar canes, macadamia nuts, guavas, pineapples, etc.," I whispered to myself.

"How about coffee?" Miss Tutweiller asked London hoping she knew the answer.

I also knew coffee was the major export there.

"Oh please. I would love a cup. Make it non-fat, decaf with cinnamon sprinkles," London told her getting ecstatic.

"Do I look like a waitress?" our teacher asked, but realized that she would get insulted, "Never mind."

I overheard Cody talking to Zack who wore a large fuzzy winter hat, "Ah, a traditional fur ushanka! You must be doing your report on the icy capital, Yakutsk, of Siberia's Sakha Republic."

"Close," Zack smirked at his twin and lifted the ear flaps revealing headphones, "I'm listening to the Red Sox game." He gave him a gesture to not say anything.