15. Shipnotized

I arrived at the juice bar and saw Zack taking an order from a couple of people. Cody stood nearby with an expression like he just saw a favorite celebrity.

"Codes? What's up?" I asked just as Zack went over to the counter.

"Do you know who you just spoke to?" Cody asked his twin.

"Uh, the guy sunbathing in a suit and tie? Wait, lemme guess, the president of the I-Like-To-Sweat-Club," Zack replied.

He did have a point. Who'd wear a suit and tie on vacation? And from how Zack reacted, the man sounded like he was one of those snobby wealthy guests who looked down on those considered lower than them.

"No, that's Monroe Cabot. The Dean of Admissions at Harvard University. I'd do anything to make a great impression on him," Cody expressed.

"I wouldn't waste my chances on that if I were you dude," I shook my head and sat at the counter.

It irked me that Cody wanted to attend Harvard after graduation since it was one of the most expensive universities. The atmosphere there wouldn't do him well!

I watched as Zack picked up a smoothie and went over to Cabot and pretended to accidentally spill it all over him. Cody went over and carefully dabbed the mess with a towel as he expressed that the suit was made of cashmere.

I lost interest in the scene as Cabot was starting to get impressed with Cody and ordered a peach-mango smoothie to go.

The next evening, Caleb and I went to a hypnotist show

The next evening, Caleb and I went to a hypnotist show. Apparently, Caleb talked me into going with him to it when I expressed that it was all bogus and that it was all just an act to get people to see the show and for the performer to make a ton of money. So we made a bet at determining each other right or wrong.

I was surprised to see London and Bailey in attendance as we quickly found seats just as the show started. I overheard Bailey expressing that they would've gone to an earlier showing and that it was past curfew. Earlier, Caleb tried getting the earlier show, but the seats were filled so we opted for the late showing.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome!" a man in a glossy tux hollered in excitement as he emerged from behind the curtains, "I am Enzo Biscotti, the world's greatest hypnotist according to Cruise Weekly."

Half of the audience applauded. I just crossed my arms and rolled my eyes as Biscotti asked for a couple of volunteers. A woman volunteered and urged her stubborn husband to join in.

"It'll be like one of those prop up shows," I muttered as the couple walked up on the platform, "They'll just mimic each other's personality when they're told, not by mind control."

"Quiet Marley," Caleb whispered, "And wait for it."

I shook my head as Biscotti ''hypnotized" the couple to act like the person right next to them. They ended up acting like each other a few seconds later. The audience applauded, including Bailey, London, and Caleb.

"See? Really to admit defeat Mar?" Caleb asked me.

"Not convinced," I replied, "And no, it's just like those magic shows involving pulling a rabbit out from a hat when it's really under the table, in a small cage that's covered up."

"That is a ding-dong riot!" Bailey smiled.

"That is a ding-dong riot!" London repeated with a Southern accent.

Caleb and I stared at her and each other.

"Okay, maybe she's just enjoying the show and that being Bailey's roommate rubbed on to her in a better way," I stated.

"Perhaps," Caleb shrugged.

⚓

I started noticing how London was acting bizarre. She acted more like Bailey, mainly the whole country girl personality after seeing the two of them had taken a square dancing session, which wasn't London's thing.

It all seemed that I was losing my bet with Caleb. When I expressed it to Bailey, she agreed with me, and that she too had noticed how London wasn't being herself. 

"I admit defeat," I sighed at Caleb, "You win. The events from the hypnotist show, it's for real. London was hypnotized to act like Bailey."

"I was only joking," he nodded, "It's what friends do. Joke with each other sometimes."

"Yeah, they do."

Both of us ran into Bailey who was pulling London along in a rush.

"What's going on Bails?" I asked.

"We need to find that hypnotist and get her back to her normal self, " she replied.

"I always thought those hypnotist shows were phony, " Caleb stated.

"Then it was all probably a fluke, " I jumped in.

We ended up tagging along with the girls and headed for the showroom where Biscotti was doing another nightly show.

"Wait, Mr. Biscotti! Here's another volunteer!" Bailey shouted as she pulled London onto the platform while Caleb and I stood by the entrance.

"Excuse me?" Biscotti asked already confused.

"My friend London was in your audience the other night and accidentally got hypnotized. Now she thinks she's me."

"Okay, so..."

It looked like Biscotti didn't believe that his talent affected more than one or two individuals.

"So she's annoying. I can't get her to be her again. I even tried this, " Bailey remarked and clapped her hands at his face.

Biscotti stopped her, "Now you're annoying. But I'll still help."

He worked his trick and London came around.

"Her, how'd I get up here, I was sitting over there?" she asked with a confused expression having no memory of the previous night.

London looked down and screamed, "How did these hideous clothes get on me? I'm wearing plaid!"

She ran out of the showroom screaming like she just saw a spider. Bailey, Caleb and I ran after her.

Later, I found out from Zack that Cody changed his mind about going to Harvard and decided to apply for Yale. It turned out Cabot found out Cody pretended to date the man's daughter when it was actually Zack who was going out with her. The funny part was when the girl jumped into the hot tub fully clothed and swam in it like a lunatic!