24. Kitchen Casanova

I sighed as I entered the room where Home Economics was taking place. I wanted to try my hand at Art since I enjoyed it a lot. But I was told to branch out and try learning something new. Caleb was taking Art, which made me a little bit jealous.

Most of Home Economics consisted of girls, though Woody was the only guy present. I overheard Woody tell Bailey that he signed up for the course just to hit on Addison who was also taking the class. 

Another reason why I rarely interacted with Addison was that she tended to get extremely wordy. Whenever she talked about something, she'd continue on and on forgetting a period. Though, I was nice to her.

Cody entered the room wearing a chef's uniform, "Good morning class." He went over to a small chalkboard. "I am Mr. Martin." He wrote the name on it. "But you may call me "sir" or "chef", or "sir chef."

"I think I have a crush on the teacher," Bailey grinned.

I rolled my eyes.

"What happened to Mrs. Westphall?" Reina, one of the fellow students asked.

"She was chopping onions when we hit that big wave," Cody answered.

All of us cringed imagining the unfortunate cooking accident befell the Home Economics teacher.

"Yeah, it wasn't pretty," Cody added.

"So, they're letting you teach?" Woody wondered.

"I knew I should have taken art," Reina scoffed.

"Well, food is art," Cody pointed out, "Art that you can eat."

"Yes!" Woody cheered softly.

"For example, is this a tomato?" Cody showed the whole class a tomato and then turned around and started chopping and slicing with two knives like a professional chef.

I remembered he had the knack for cooking back in Boston. When the Tipton was being visited by a food critic, the chef quit his job due to some frustration. Cody filled in and recruited our group, myself included to help throw together the desired dish the critic ordered.

"Or a rose for your dinner date?" he revealed the tomato which looked like a rose.

All of the girls applauded. When it looked like Cody was about to give the rose shaped tomato to Bailey, he turned and gave it to Reina.

"Oh. You are good," Reina gave him a flirty smile. 

I could tell Bailey wasn't happy.

"All right, let's start with some basics," Cody continued, "Who knows how to reduce vinegar and shallots to make a beurre Blanc?"

No one said a word finding it all confusing.

"Okay, who knows how to flash-caramelize filbert shards?" he added.

Again, none of the class members replied.

"Who knows what an egg is?" Cody asked hoping that everyone got it.

Everyone in the room raised their hands.

"I know everything there is to know about eggs," Bailey jumped in, "I've collected them, candled them, and even pulled them right out of the cloaca."

Again, there was confusion among everyone in the room.

"The single multipurpose opening in the chicken's--" she added.

"Okay! Let's save the chicken chit-chat for the lunchroom," Cody suggested cutting her off not wanting everybody grossed out knowing what Bailey was about to say, "Let's learn how to crack an egg. Or shall I say...four eggs?" He held up four eggs in both hands and cracked them and let the yolk into the bowl.