18. The Whispers

"Emily!" Emily's mother shouted from the front porch that was lit by the porch lights. "Come inside before the rain starts pouring heavily!"

Emily's mom was a tall and kind woman, wearing a long blue striped dress with pink slippers and a shrug. She had her eyes squinted and hands wrapped around herself, rubbing her arms as it was chilling outside.

"Coming mom!"

The three of them stood in front of Emily's house entrance gate. They said goodnight and Emily opened the door and went inside while Hannah and John strode across the road towards their home.

After a few minute's walk, more like a run, they were welcomed by their dad and a sweet aroma that filled the air.

John whiffed the aroma and went weak on his knees. He could guess for sure that it was his favorite Boston cream pie. If he had it his way, he could eat only this for the rest of his life. Hannah always joked hearing it, telling him every time that he would then become a round fat boy who would tumble and roll. John never believed her but imagining her brother like that always gave the whole family a laugh.

"Mom!" John yelled. He could not contain his excitement. "Where are you?"

"In the kitchen!"

John removed his shoes which were by now totally covered in dirt and mud and went towards the kitchen. Hannah removed her shoes and put the umbrellas in the mudroom to let them dry and then sat on the sofa with her father. While John and Mrs. Jackson were busy making the pie, Hannah and Mr. Jackson were watching the latest episode of paranormal adventures.

Watching the paranormal type of shows with her dad was their father-daughter moment. The two of them made it 'their thing' since Hannah was a baby. Mrs. Jackson never really understood the fun behind it and why would anyone want to stay up late till midnight to watch ghost shows. She would always say to sleep when the time was beyond 10 or 11 pm, but the two slept only when the show got over.

"Who's ready for dinner?" Mrs. Jackson said setting up the table while John was bringing his favorite dessert.

When the show ended, the father-daughter pair joined at the dinner table where John had already started.

"You couldn't just wait! Can you?" Hannah said taking a piece of pie from John's plate.

John grunted and told her to get her own as he refused to share his. Hannah stuck her tongue out making fun of him.

Tom was sitting in his usual spot eating his food and a piece of pie which John had given him. The Boston cream pie was not only John's favorite but thanks to him, it was now Tom's favorite too.

"So Guys, are you excited?" Mrs. Jackson said taking a bite of the enchiladas.

"I know I am, just like my stomach is to eat the food cooked by you." Mr. Jackson said and looked at his wife which caused Mrs. Jackson to smile.

"Excited about what?" Hannah asked looking at her mother trying to remember whether she is forgetting something her mother told them before or not.

"Your dad and I had planned this long before as a treat to John winning the championships."

"Why you waited so long though? " Hannah asked sounding enlivened guessing what it was.

There was silence for a few moments.

"Harry's death," John said, his face down. Suddenly, he didn't feel like eating as if his apatite had gone away.

"I'm sorry John." Hannah apologized wishing she should have never said that.