Chapter 9 (Edited)

"Hey, Axel," Lizzie asked two days before I was to leave. She had a look of concern on her face, and I couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking.

"What is it?" I asked, furrowing my brows and placing down my pen.

"Dad is leaving in two days..." she began. She paused and watched as I leaned back in my seat. "And..."

I raised an eyebrow. "And..?" I asked.

She shifted and tucked her legs underneath her. "And?" she asked.

I sighed and closed my eyes, having a feeling that she knew that I was leaving with her. I moved a hand through my hair and opened my eyes to stare at her sparkling eyes as she tried not to cry.

"Is it because of me?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

I shook my head and went over to her. I pulled her into my lap and placed her face on my neck.

Lizzie sniffled and a few stray tears fell out of her eyes as she clutched me tightly. "Well?" she asked. "Is it?"

I shook my head and moved a hand through her hair. "No," I said, softly placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Then why are you leaving?" she asked, lifting her head from my shoulder. She stared at me, and I knew that she was wanting to add 'me' to her question.

I sighed and kissed her forehead, taking in her scent. "I am not leaving because of you," I said, pulling away. "How could I leave my bestest friend?" I poked her nose, causing her to wrinkle.

"But, you are leaving."

"In two days, yes," I said, confirming for the first time. My heart ached as her bottom lip quivered and moved a hand through her hair. "I am leaving because he wants my help with the pack," I added.

She stayed silent, waiting for me to answer.

"Your father said that they were needing a lot of help, and Gamma Wyatt wasn't able to offer his services."

"So, you did."

I nodded. "I did," I confirmed.

"There is another reason. What is it?"

I chuckled and poked her nose. "You are too smart. Do you know that?"

She wrinkled her nose and shrugged her shoulder. "It's in my blood," she replied. She paused and furrowed her brows. "I know that there are two other reasons, but I think you are not wanting to say the other one."

"Very smart," I said, causing her to smile. I smiled, loving her bright smile. "But, yes. There are two reasons, and I want to not say it. Is that ok?" I furrowed my brows, staring at her.

Lizzie mocked sighed, causing me to chuckle. "I suppose so," she said in a posh accent. "What is the other one?"

"Your father is wanting to teach me lessons," I replied. "I do not know about what, and I would rather not ask." I glanced down at her and winked. "Your dad scares me," I teased, causing her to snort.

"He scares everyone," she replied. She paused and shrugged her shoulder. "Except for me. He doesn't scare me."

"Oh? And why not?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

She held out her pinkie. "Because I have him wrapped around my little finger," she replied, wiggling it. "Just like you."

I chuckled and kissed her pinkie finger. "Yes, yes you do," I said. I moved a hand through her hair and sighed.

Lizzie frowned and stared at me with her big brown eyes. "Will you write to me every day?" she asked, causing me to nod my head.

"If you write to me every day," I promised. "I want to know if you make any new friends and if someone has replaced me as your bestest friend." I kissed her cheek, causing her to push against my face and laugh.