Chapter 21- Lizzie

I woke up to silence and feeling that I was not in control of my body. My mind was foggy, and I had no idea what had happened, the past twenty-four hours just a blur. I didn't know my name, who I was, or where I was at. All I knew was that I felt different and not in control, a feeling that I would later learn that my father had felt after he had shifted for the first time, as well.

My ears swiveled on the top of my head, and I picked up the sounds of the world as if I was hearing them for the first time. I could hear a bird landing on a tree far away. I could hear the sound of a bubbling creek. I could hear... everything.

I blinked and sneezed, for my other senses were different as well. I could see at a far greater distance than I normally would have been able to and smelled from a greater distance as well. These changes didn't bother me, but I was sure it was because of the thing that controlled me.

A loud snap broke the "silence" around me, and the beast that controlled me turned our head towards the sound. A loud growl resonated through our body when we saw a large wolf standing tall and proud before us.

Quickly, the beast jumped and laid our ears to the back of our head while we glared at the wolf. Our whole body was tense, and we were ready to attack if this wolf decided to take a step closer. The beast was protective of this area we were in, and I felt protective of this area as well and did not like the intruder.

The wolf studied us and lifted his tail and head higher, telling us to submit. He didn't say a word or make any other movement towards us while he waited for us to comply with his wishes.

The beast growled and shook my head and snapped at the air in defiance. The beast was not going to submit, no matter what this wolf was going to do. The beast was daring this wolf to attack, and I had a small feeling that the wolf would attack if we didn't submit.

However, I had no say in what we can or can't do, and the beast didn't seem to care that I did not want to fight.

The wolf before us lowered his head and flicked his ears until they were laying flat against his skull. He growled a warning, indicating that he would attack if we didn't follow his rules and submit.

Again, the beast snarled and shook my head, indicating that we wouldn't submit, or she wouldn't me submit to this wolf who had far more training in wolf form than us. She bared her teeth and growled, the growl vibrating through our body.

The wolf huffed and started to circle us, with a calculating gaze in his eyes. He walked around tall and proud, and I could tell that whoever this wolf was, was a fighter and had been trained in this form unlike us.

The beast watched the other wolf and waited, standing tall and proud. The beast was powerful and felt that this wolf before us should be the one to bow, and the beast was willing to prove it the wolf.

Again, the wolf huffed before he attacked so quickly that it surprised the beast and me. He tested the beast's strength and weaknesses, not making us submit, but the beast was angry and annoyed with the male.

Finally, after what felt like hours but maybe thirty minutes, the wolf pushed us until we were on my back and bared his teeth close to my throat. He growled while the beast made us struggle against our confines and pushed harder.

'Submit,' the male, my father, said, breaking the barrier that the beast had thrown up. 'Now. You are finished. Submit and let my daughter have control again. Tell her your name.'

The beast growled and snapped at my father's paws. They didn't want to tell me their name or submit to the male on us. The beast wanted to get away and to stay in control, not caring that they were not in a position to try and gain the upper hand.

Power filled the air around us while my father tapped into this ancient power that he possessed. He leaned closer to the beast and growled, his eyes flashing. 'Now,' he said, authoritatively.

Finally, with a loud huff, the beast submitted to him while they pulled away from our jointed mind. 'Whisper,' the beast, my wolf, said while she pulled away. 'My name is Whisper, Princess.'

***

My father let me up when my wolf let me gain control of our body and studied me. Pride filled his eyes, and he nodded his head while I looked around. 'Lizzie?' he asked, and I looked at him instantly.

'Yes, Papa?' I asked, cocking my head. I furrowed my brows when he relaxed and relief filled his eyes. 'What is it? What's wrong?'

My father didn't say a word but shook his head. He walked over to me and nuzzled, and I closed my eyes and sought the comfort that he provided. 'You are beautiful,' he said. 'I am proud of you.'

I offered him a wolfish grin and nuzzled him back. 'I am sorry that I attacked you, Papa,' I said, flicking my ears back, apologetically. 'I wasn't in control.'

He nodded his head. 'I know,' he replied. He pulled away and gestured for me to stand. 'It is part of the curse that affects our bloodlines. Only the king has the power to bring the wolf and human side together.'

I nodded my head and stood before I pursed my lips. I knew that the only way to break the curse was to find all of the twelve and do something, but I didn't know what. I just knew that I didn't want my brother to go through what I went through the past couple of hours.

'Come,' Papa said, gesturing for me to follow. 'Let's walk around for a bit before you go back to the party. Your mate is worried about you.'

My mate... I could finally claim Axel as my mate, and nothing could stop me. I could get people to stop telling me that my crush on my "babysitter" was wrong and finally show them that it hadn't just been a crush but the bond at work, linking us together for the world to see.

'Can I tell my mate about my wolf?' I asked, following my father somewhere.

My dad was silent, and a sense of dread washed over my body. 'No,' he said, finally. 'You are not allowed to tell him that you have shifted.'

'But what if..?' I flicked my ears to the back of my head and let my question trail off.

What if he rejected me?

Papa chuckled. 'He will not reject you if you tell him that you can't shift,' he said. He paused and let me catch up to him before he nuzzled me. 'He is your mate through and through and loves you like I love your mother. Your bond is strong.'

I hesitated but nodded my head, but the doubt planted a seed in my mind, and I knew that the only way to get rid of it was to hear it from his mouth. I needed to hear that he didn't care I didn't "shift" or that I had to hide my wolf from him.

Goddess, please let him still want me, even though I can't show him my wolf. Please.