Chapter Seventeen

Daniel sat in the basement of his house infuriated. How could he be so stupid to think it was his mother trying to come back and be with them? She was never by his side, so why would she want to be now? Daniel was beginning to think at first that maybe he was over doing it by treating Diana the way he was. It wasn't her fault what they are and what the were destined for. But now he sees this so called family of his had no intentions on loving and accepting him. He was born the "problem child". They want him to sit back and watch Diana be royalty while he has to settle as some messenger boy. He would have been some what okay if they would have at least let him by a part of the army. According to Brian, Daniel's job was going to be to go hunt for food to feed the kingdom. Daniel knew he had much more potential than that. What he didn't understand is why Diana and not him?

"My main man Dan! What you doing down here in the dark?"

Brian switched on the light in the basement and looked at Daniel disappointingly. He knew both twins finding out who they truly are was going to be a game of good versus evil. No one wants to feel like they were never good enough and that's exactly how Daniel feels. It hurts Brian even more that it's nothing he could do about it. Daniel could very easily be turned into a vampire; one bite and it's done. But what will that do? He will still have to play second best to a sister who doesn't even want the life they have set out for them. 

Daniel spent majority of his time in the basement, especially since he made a mistake with the spell. He was so eager to do something right, that he didn't listen to the warnings Geneva was trying to give him. Of course she didn't know it was Valder and not Amethyst, but she did know the consequences of using dark magic. She promised to only use natural magic that abides by some laws of nature and did her best to not knock anything out of balance. Geneva hasn't been one hundred percent at her best since she attempted the spell. Ciara did what she could with the powers she possessed to cure whatever it was that harmed Geneva, but it wasn't enough. Using all that energy made her cancer spread and she's been locked in her room ever since. The guilt has done nothing but eat Daniel alive. All he does is sit in the basement, eat because he has to, and become a victim to his own mind. 

"You have got to get out of this house", Brian said while concentrating on not to trip over the trash that was on the floor.

"And do what?", Daniel asked.

"Get some sun light, go to a movie, anything".

"You mean move on like nothing has happened?"

"Well, what's wrong with that?"

"A lot".

"How, Daniel? Why waste time stressing about things you can't control?"

"Because I can do nothing else! I'm stuck as a lame ass human and can't go back to my real home. My sister damn near killed me with no remorse. And to top it off, I was stupid enough to think Amethyst was trying to communicate with me. ME, Brian, not anyone else. She hasn't tried to talk to me in eighteen long years and I was dumb enough to think this was going to be different".

"Daniel, don't beat yourself up about that. There was no way for you to know it was Valder and not Amethyst. Valder is a great deceiver and he used your weakness against you. None of this is your fault".

"Somehow it sounds like bull shit coming from you".

Brian sat down in the chair across from Daniel and looked him straight in the eyes. "And due tell what that's supposed to mean?"

"It makes sense for everyone to tell me to move on in life. Because y'all support this bull shit of Diana being better than me". 

"No one said she was better than you-"