shine

KNJ & LJ

☾☽

Jia leaves to stand outside, grateful for her work break.

she takes out her pack of cigarettes, ready to finally take in the vivid air of autumn yet she fills her lungs with toxicity mercilessly. a way of escaping, a way of life.

"just lie and send her to the hospital."

working at the zoo has become something she is still not accustomed to. the anarchy of the children, the smiles on parents faces, the rowdy animal noises and the towering mess after an enduring day.

even though her job as a receptionist includes her doing nothing but answering calls, selling zoo tickets and helping the staff above her, out with assistance. she knows that working is the only way she can get away from her married, parental life as a woman with a challenging past. Jia is a woman who values escapism even though it's momentary.

Jia tries hard not to let her past define her but she finds herself overthinking.

I may be the only daughter but they take me for granted.

Jia's thoughts come to a halt when she notices someone.

an image so peculiar makes her laugh under her breath. she sees a grown man chasing a crab, uneasiness on his unfamiliar face as he tries to grab it in his hands.

she inhales the nicotine and tries to hide her amused smile.

it's the end of the weekday and the zoo is about to close. Jia can't believe she has to kick out a man, just because he wants to actually be here.

she notices the silence of the zoo and so does the stranger. that's why he rushes to the now locked doors, an anxious mess as he breathes heavily.

Jia walks up behind him, the two of them noticing how everyone has left.  she sees the boy struggle to open the doors.

why so much pain? emotional and physical.

Jia surprises him, throwing away her cigarette smoothly as he turns around. "looks like you got locked out?" she asks, raising her brows.

the stranger doesn't answer and steps to the side, allowing Jia to unlock the exit doors. the two of them walk through and into the reception area.

"is the gift shop still open?" the man with the cap asks politely.

Jia is about to say no until she realises it's the man she was thinking about in the shower and she finds herself staring at his facial features.

that's why she recognised him!

the patterned scarf, the tall lean figure and today he's dressed in ripped jeans and a white shirt fits his wide frame. he once again radiates bliss and kindness.

Jia glances at his unlaced converse shoes and walks towards the closed gift shop. "it's closed... but I can open it up for you. please be quick though."

so she opens the gift shop, switching on the lights and the man starts to explore every aisle, taking his time, completely ignoring Jia as she stands behind the counter impatiently.

he approaches her after five minutes, placing a stuffed penguin, a postcard and a key ring on the counter. Jia raises her brows and begins to scan the items, all whilst analysing the stranger in front of her who is sociable and careful.

"thank you." his deep voice makes Jia snap her attention to him and he smiles, satisfied with the fact that she acknowledges him.

just before he leaves, he stops in his steps and swings his bag. "oh and thank you for letting me use the gift shop-"

he gestures to the bag and Jia nods. "take care of your penguin and make sure not to get locked out next time." she laughs a little.

Namjoon gulps harshly, next time? how does she know he'll come back?

the handsome stranger leaves with a smile that makes Jia blush and she looks down, noticing the key ring he didn't take with him.

"hey! excuse me-"

but he's gone.

and Jia's left with a key ring of a red coloured crab in her palm.