Entry #40: Royal Purple

There is something rather fascinating about the parties the nobility throws. Back when I used to visit Alifen, the wealthy had gatherings for a variety of reasons. Most were reasonable, such as a meeting of the country’s leaders and foreign dignitaries, celebration of the King’s birthday, the country’s independence day, or other functions. But some were for more trivial matters. I used to think that these were held just to display a noble’s wealth and power. No matter the cause, the aristocracy would always throw such glamorous, extravagant parties.

I’ve never attended one, but I’ve seen it from the outside. When mother and I would walk through town on errands, we would see ornate carriages pulled by pure white horses drive up to grand houses. The women that stepped out were always clad in some form of ridiculous outfit made of the rarest of silks and adorned with the most precious gems. Their entire getup seemed like it would cost more than a house! The men were just as gaudy, wearing oddly shaped suits and shoes that were so polished I bet you could see your reflection in them. That was all I had to see to know what sort of event they were attending.

This demon’s banquet, however, is much simpler. The castle of Crimson Hold hasn’t been decorated to the extent that it looks like a different world. In fact, is hasn’t really been decorated at all. It has just been given a thorough cleaning to make it appear presentable.

The large ballroom makes my jaw drop. It doesn’t need any extra adornments to be impressive. The arched ceiling towers above me, enormous silver chandeliers shining light down on the room below. The black floor is incredibly polished and it looks so smooth. If only I could dance on it; I bet that would be wonderful! Built into the grey walls are carved figures of mythical gryphons, wings spread wide as if they are about to take off into the sky. The only real decorations are the royal purple curtains that cover the room’s massive windows. And really, this is all the decoration it needs.

All of the guests to the Hold have a very sophisticated look about them. I do appreciate how they all dress in plain but formal attire; nothing ridiculous like us humans. It looks as though they aren’t here for a good time but for business. Perhaps the occasion was some sort of meeting? I see very few smiles and the majority appear rather judgmental. No wonder Kain values impressing any who visit his keep; they place him under intense scrutiny. Do they doubt his abilities as leader of Talyyn? Do they not think him suitable in his role? Or are they just seeking ways to undermine him?

I easily spot him in the crowd, looking rather dashing in a blue and gold overcoat and black trousers. He is speaking with a well-dressed reptilian and a sinister looking serpent man. The serpent is the only one I’ve noticed so far to appear genuinely happy. A smile crosses his face as he responds to something Kain says. He doesn’t seem to share the man’s enthusiasm as he simply nods and takes a sip from the glass in his hand.

Servants flit around the room, carrying out their various duties. Several walk around the room, setting up the table with desserts, handing drinks to the guests, and carrying out whatever is demanded of them. They stand out greatly amongst Talyyn’s nobility, wearing somewhat ragged clothes. They have a sort of formal appearance, but are easily distinguished as peasant’s clothes.

It isn’t hard to notice Kaiya standing stone still nearby the dessert table, dressed in similar servant’s garb. Lying flat across both her hands is a silver tray containing sliced fruit. I’m surprised at how well she’s managing. The tray isn’t even wobbling in her hands. She is absolutely motionless, like a statue. She seems rather disgruntled, with her eyes looking angry, tired, and bored.

Taking a few glances around the room, she makes sure no one is watching as she quickly steals a peach from the tray and slips it into her mouth. A faint smile forms on her face as she eats the fresh fruit. Just then, Kren trots up behind her and taps her on the shoulder, making her jump a little. “I saw that,” he whispers, trying to stifle laughter.