Chapter 5

On the first morning of the new year, John woke up to an empty spot next to him in bed. He and Cecilia had left the bar after closing and returned to her apartment. They were both exhausted and the last thing John remembered was falling asleep while admiring the delicate features of the already asleep Cecilia.

He lay in Cecilia's bed, taking in the smell on her sheets. He was happy. Finally, he had the girl, who had managed to turn his world upside down in a matter of only two weeks. Well, the circumstances of how it happened weren't exactly perfect, but that didn't matter. He was determined to prove himself to her. 

After replaying the events of the previous night in his head for some minutes, he decided to get up and find his girl. Not feeling like getting dressed yet, he wrapped a blanket around himself and wondered out of the bedroom. He found Cecilia sitting on the balcony in her bathrobe, drinking coffee.

"Morning, beautiful," he softly greeted her and sat behind her. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her neck.

"Morning to yourself too, beautiful," Cecilia giggled.

"Oh, how on earth have I earned such a compliment," John laughed.

"Well, the fact that you are you is enough for me," Cecilia kissed him on the lips and added, "There's warm coffee in the kitchen, if you want."

"I'd love a cup, thank you."

Feeling a little cold and hungry, they relocated to the kitchen in order to have breakfast. 

"An omelette and some salad sounds very good actually, I usually don't have anything but cereal in my place," John laughed as Cecilia went through her fridge and cabinets. She hadn't done any food shopping for some days and didn't have much else but salad and eggs to offer. Considering that she wasn't actually expecting any guests, she decided that John better not think of her as a bad hostess and prepared him whatever she could get her hands on.

After finishing their breakfast, they tried to decide on how to spend their day together. Firstly, they considered seeing a movie, but then figured that nothing really interesting was running in the theaters. They also thought of going for a walk in the city, but since the sky had started to turn grey and the weather didn't look too promising, that option was dismissed as well.

"Maybe we could get some take away and just go to my place and listen to some records?" John finally offered.

Cecilia, lying in John's arms in front of her TV, flipping through some random channels, got up and smiled, "OK, I like that idea. I just gotta hit the shower first."

"Sure, no problem," John shrugged and released Cecilia from his grip.

Once she had returned from her quick wash, she got dressed and applied some light make up. She opted for a grey maxi dress and a checked blazer considering the bleak weather. Just as she was in the middle of putting on her Doc Martens boots in her hallway, she heard her phone ring.

"Umm.. could you get that? I'm putting my boots on," Cecilia asked John, who was still in the bedroom.

"Cecilia Rhodes' apartment," he blankly stated after picking up the phone.

"John?" a woman's voice echoed from the other side of the line.

"Jessica?"

"Does Cecilia happen to be there by any chance?" Jess asked, her voice laced with amusement.

"Yeah, sure."

"Hello?" Cecilia ran to her bedroom and picked up the phone.

"So it is true then?" Jessica chuckled.