Chapter Three

Chloe's P.O.V

"Come on, lazybones, get out of the car and go inside. I'll get you a raspberry mocha, on the house," she said persuasively.

My motivations in life: sleep and food. "Okay," I said and slowly got out of the car and felt my tank top slowly ride up, exposing some of my pale skin. I had to yank it back down, probably looking insane, but I did not care‒ well, maybe a little.

"Come on, Chloe," Hailee said in a rushed voice, her eyes almost popping out of their sockets, which made me want to laugh.

"I'm coming," I said and followed closely behind her.

As soon as we went inside, I immediately wanted to go throw up in the bathroom. Chloe Marshall and Heather Bates waved at us to come sit with them at a booth, but who was with them made it all worse.

"Hey Chloe and Heather," Hailee said as we walked over to them.

Was it too late to run? I could totally run back to my dorm. It would be great exercise, perhaps I could even lose twenty pounds and voila: I'm perfect.

"Hey girl," Chloe Marshall said and grinned at Hailee, showing her large, white teeth. Good gracious her mouth was huge. You could probably fit a whole apple in there and she would still be nothing but teeth.

It was disgusting how pretty some girls were and how they weren't pretty at the same time. That's how I felt about Chloe Marshall. It made sense that she was a volleyball player considering her height, which was 5'10" and I knew that because she used to bring up her height all the time in English. Her hair was naturally brown, but she dyed it the color of mozzarella cheese, obviously so fake but at the same time kinda pretty. Her skin was tan from going to a tanning bed like a southerner goes to church, and her eyes were of course blue, rimmed with thin black eyeliner. Don't even get me started on her horse mouth, obviously her best feature.

Chloe and Heather got up and hugged Hailee.

"I am so happy to see you," Heather Bates said in her high-pitched, fake cheerleader voice.

Heather Bates, in my opinion, was prettier than Chloe Marshall, but the words would never escape my lips. Heather naturally had long dark hair, but she got blonde highlights, no doubt suggested by Chloe Marshall herself, but one of her prettiest features were her hazel eyes. Her eyes were large, rimmed with long dark lashes, and she had a small but cute nose. Heather was the cheerleading captain at Willowbrook, now part of the Crimson Tide cheerleading squad. She was exceptional at tumbling and gymnastics, so it wasn't hard to imagine that she made the team. I always viewed her as the nicer one, but she was too caught up in having a different boyfriend every couple of months to boost her self-esteem.

Chloe Marshall turned and inspected me. Heather noticed and followed suit, looking over me like Miss Kitty did to her cat food. "Nice to see you, Chloe. I like your top. Didn't I see that at Dillard's or Belk?"

"Probably, I don't remember where it's from," I managed to muster out, trying not to look at the person behind her.

"Oh my goodness Luke," Hailee put her hand to her chest and looked him up and down. "Is it just me or do you look more muscular? What did they do to you in practice?"

I couldn't help myself but glance at Luke, who smiled brilliantly as he always did. "I honestly don't know, but for the past couple days I have been worn out."

Hailee moved closer to him and grabbed his arm, feeling his muscles and acting astounded. "Did they give you steroids or something?" Typical Hailee to try and get closer to him somehow.

I noticed that he laughed nervously as he gently pulled away. "Should we sit down?" he asked as if he wanted to change the subject.

"Of course," Chloe Marshall agreed and looked at Hailee. "Hailee, sit with Heather and me. Chloe, I'm sure you won't mind sitting next to Luke near the window."