Chapter Ten

Chloe's P.O.V

We headed down for halftime with minutes to go. The entire time we were warming up I couldn't help but feel super nervous yet excited. I couldn't explain how much I hated feeling the urge to go the bathroom each time I got nervous. Maybe I should get that checked out or something because I was sure it couldn't be healthy.

We got on the sidelines of the field and I could have sworn I saw one of our football players watching from a distance near the exit to the locker rooms.

With the few short, quick blows of the whistle and I was marching onto the field. I couldn't focus on anything else but my drills and music.

With impeccable focus, I managed to pull through and do my best for the halftime show. I absolutely loved the halftime music, and if my dad could have heard us play he would've loved it too. Usually, I wouldn't pick favorites since I loved all of the song choices, but all-time favorite was "You Can't Hurry Love" by Phil Collins. The arrangement was outstanding, and I couldn't commend the director anymore for his beautiful masterpiece.

The game ended forty-four to fourteen, Bama completely steamrolling the other team and I couldn't be any prouder. I was sure my family watched the game intently. Elijah was probably hollering, constantly being shushed by Felix who was probably happily munching on some popcorn. I missed spending game days with my family snuggled in my pajamas.

I went to my dorm room that night feeling sweaty and exhausted‒attractive qualities I knew was sure to entice any guy within a mile radius. There was a high chance my band uniform smelled like armpit, a sure sign that it needed to be washed before the next game.

Almost stumbling in my dorm room, I huff out a long, exasperated breath and look up to see Heather Bates in her cheerleading uniform sitting on the couch.

"W-what are you‒" I began, twisting my head in confusion.

"Chloe!" Hailee exclaimed, appearing out of thin air. "There you are! I would ask you about the game except Heather has already told me everything!"

It took me a moment to evaluate the situation. Hailee was wearing a white halter top, her blue bra very apparent underneath with high waisted black jeans with tears on the thighs. Her makeup was heavier than usual, covering up all of her freckles. "Where are your glasses?" I immediately asked, noticing the most identifiable item was missing.

"I told her she looked better without them," Marshall came into view, her piercing blue eyes analyzing every inch of me. "You look like you had a good time at the game," she smirked. I noticed that she wore a similar halter top to Hailee's, except hers was green, exposing her perfectly tanned and toned stomach. I wished I could have a stomach like that, except I loved eating so much it would never happen.

I scrunched my eyebrows. I didn't even know how she wanted me to process her words, but it sounded more like an insult than anything. "I think Hailee looks great with glasses," I said smartly as I walked past her and towards my room.

"Chloe Claire!" Hailee called‒more like screeched‒ after me.

I turned around, stopping where I was. "Yes?"

"I was going to ask if you wanted to go to a frat party with us," she said, her finger twitching since it was so used to pushing her black glasses up her nose.

I burst out laughing. "A frat party?" Seriously, did Hailee even know me? I could barely go to some social setting with a few people I didn't know, much less an entire group of people I didn't know.

"I told you she wouldn't want to come," Marshall ran her fingers through her mozzarella blond hair, jutting out her hip so far it could dislocate.