*Chapter Four: Vincent

I woke up to the pitch darkness of the living room and the strained muscles in my shoulder from sleeping on the sofa. I stretched out and sat groggily up. I caught the powerful scent of a wolf, a ranked wolf and I froze. It wasn't Leandor his scent was much different and stronger.

There was rustling coming from down the hall, and curious like I always am, I got up quietly and walked toward the sound. The whole mansion was dark. The only light was coming from the moon light seeping through the drapery of the windows. Yet, there was a light illumination from a room far down the down stair's hallway.

Tip toeing closer I squinted my eyes since the light bothered my eyes and I wasn't adjusting well to the new bright light.

I forced myself to forget about the difficulties and focus on the intruder in the mansion. This may be Leandor's place and I'd rather not be here, but I wasn't about to be a victim in a home robbery or worse rape. Not on my watch I wasn't going done with out a fight.

The person, whoever they are, cursed under their breath seemingly to be getting frustrated or impatient with something. About to peek around the door a man walked out of the room.

I must have startled him because he let out a long sentence of curses. "Holy mother of fucking god! I thought you were still sleeping." He clutched his hand to his chest as if he were having a heart attack like a werewolf could ever have one. I just stood there eyeing him up spectrally. He was tall about Leandor's height with glistening tanned skin and broad strong shoulders. His black hair was an impossible dark shade of black, midnight darkness you could say.

"Who are you?" I asked raising an eyebrow examining the man in front of me. I smelt the beta scent on him and took a cautious step back. For all I know Leandor could have gotten second thoughts about me and sent his beta to do the dirty work. That thought brought a stab to my heart. Yes, he was my mate and yes I didn't want him as my mate, but that still didn't stop my wolf from feel hurt at the thought of our mate not wanting us.

"Vincent, Leandor's beta. I just came by to get some papers for a pack meeting. I didn't mean to wake you up Luna." He apologized. Vincent did, now that I look at him and his scent, resemble a beta. I couldn't believe I didn't notice it sooner. I was ashamed at my lack of skill. I should be better at recognizing these things! "Are you ok Luna?" He asked me concern prominent in his voice an posture.

"Peachy." I retorted turning around and heading in no particular direction. I found out I was walking right back the way I came. Vincent grabbed hold of my wrist turning me around. I wanted to pull away from him but Vincent didn't seem to have a mean or cruel bone in his body. I didn't really fear him in fact if anyone was showing fear it was him towards me. As if I'd flip out on him at any moment. It looked like he was use to the harmful, aggressive nature of a person. It made me think that he saw it on a regular basis, probably from Leandor , of all people. Yet, it made perfect sense.

"Are you sure you're ok?" He asked me honestly caring for my well being. I nodded my head and shook myself out of this weak daze I was in. I continued my pursuit down the hallway to the sofa. "I can get in touch with Leandor if you'd like me too."

I scuffed as I sat down. "That's the last person I'd like to see right now."

Vincent frowned down at me but I could care less at the moment. He took a seat on the recliner and stared at me awkwardly. His brown eye fogged over mind-linking with, who no doubt was, Leandor. Such a tattle tail. I rolled my eyes at the note. I pity the mate that gets stuck with him. They'll never get away with anything the way he reports stuff.

"What are you doing here honestly?" I questioned him crocking an eyebrow. Vincent looked caught off guard probably not use to the fact that a wolf other than his alpha was questioning him.