Chapter 4

I started at the back of Mr Lawson as he led me out of the police station and towards his red Ferrari. Rhys was following behind me, apparently as baffled at this development as I was.

The other two policemen that were in the conference room had excused themselves when it appeared that they were no longer needed.

Mr Lawson retrieved something from his car that I wish I owned before inviting us to the other end of the car park with a friendly wave of his hand.

I was getting suspicious as I looked directly into his red eyes, trying to figure out his motives for this bizarre choice of destinations.

It took me a full three seconds before I realized what was wrong with that image and felt my eyes snap back to look at his. But they were definitely dark brown. "Great," I said to myself "Now I'm starting to see things."

"Sorry for the detour." Mr Lawson announced as we get to the other end of the small, brightly lit car park.

"Here you go." He says as he gently tosses me something.

I catch the flying object to find that it's a set of keys before saying "You've got to be kidding me. No way."

I am so excited and I don't even know if these keys belong to a car or what they're for.

"Are you seriously giving me a car?" I asked as I looked around.

Disappointment started to form in my stomach as I realised that none of the cars present could possibly be for me. There were a few police cruisers and three cars I reconsigned as belonging to police officers already.

The only car there that I didn't recognise the owner of was a black, brand new Audi R8 coupé.

Mr Lawson smile at me before answering my question. "Why don't you press the unlock button and find out."

So I pressed the unlock button and felt my heart skip but one, but two beats as the brand new Audi flash it's lights and unlocked.

The grin plastered on my face nearly split my face in two. As I turned to Rhys I noticed that he was in so much shock that he was unable to say anything.

Good thing I got my license two months ago.

"I am very shameful of my actions, you wouldn't have been alone and vulnerable if you had a vehicle to get to and from places. This is one small way that I can make sure that doesn't happen again."

"This car is stupidly expensive, are you sure it's ok to be giving it to me?" I asked Mr Lawson.

"Of course it is." He replied. "One of the perks of being born out of the virus is the stupid amount of money that comes with it."

I turned to Rhys and accused him. "So why is it you're so poor?"

Rhys looked uncomfortable for a second then just laughed. "Because I am" came the dismissive reply.

"Well if you need anything else then please don't hesitate to call me." Mr Lawson said as he gave me his business card. "The paper work for the Audi has already been done. It's officially your car now."

With that he wished us both a good day and went back to his Ferrari. Tearing out of the police station at break neck speed. Obviously not caring that every officer in the station was watching him.

While rubbing my hands together in gluttonous glee with a smile, I turned to Rhys "I guess I don't need a ride home anymore..." and then erupted into maniacal laughter.

"Jesus take the wheel seems the most appropriate statement right now" sighed Rhys.

"Just be careful." He replied. "That car has a lot more power than anything you've driven before. Including the police cruiser I let you drive briefly."