chapter seventeen

With a lifetime of heartbreak and betrayal, Niklaus Mikaelson was understandably jaded and cynical when it came to the matters of the heart

It was certainly true that the immoral things he had done throughout the centuries betrayed a certain sense of coldness in regards to his feelings and the protection of his emotions.

Having fallen in love countless times, and having experienced the sting of rejection too many times to account for, it was understandable why his emotions remained hidden and locked up to protect them from getting hurt.

People often underestimated his capacity for pain and neglect the importance of treating him with empathy.

The Original had probably been trying to run things and force situations to go his way for far too long, and his method of doing so was by imposing his will onto everyone around him and ensuring that everything followed his rules.

However, maybe all he really needed was to just live without any of those rigid expectations and rules, just to relax and take things as they came.

Maybe in that state of carefree living, he could finally find someone or something that allowed him to heal and overcome his past traumas and pain.

The Original was lost in his own thoughts as Keira suddenly made her presence known, causing him to snap out of his stupor.

He didn't immediately turn to face her, but he was now aware of her presence and the need for a conversation.

"We need to talk, please," she implored him, and he knew that there was something serious that needed to be discussed between them.

Niklaus was still hurt by the words that the young wolf had said during their argument, and he was not ready to let go of the grievances and blame that still lingered from it.

He did not look her in the eye, for he was still filled with bitterness and anger towards her, and it was clear that he was not prepared to let go of this resentment just yet.

"Come to blame me for more of my actions, Little Wolf," he snapped, his voice filled with ire and disdain as he refused to give her the respect she deserved.

"I understand what I did was uncalled for," Keira acknowledged in her first attempt to get their conversation back onto more amicable terms.

She had hurt the Original during their fight, and she knew that she had acted inappropriately despite her grievances, and she hoped to convey that to him in her attempt at reconciliation.

However, before she could complete her sentence, the Original cut her off by mentioning Elijah

Niklaus had cut her off with a scoff, not even allowing her to finish her sentence before expressing his dissatisfaction with Elijah's perceived interference.

"Oh, what has my dear Noble brother filled your head with this time," he inquired sarcastically, his eyes still fixed on the wall as he pointedly refused to take her seriously.

It was evident that he held anger towards the Guardian, and his attitude towards her was still cold and unforgiving.

Keira was visibly irritated by Niklaus's dismissiveness as he made another dismissive remark about his elder brother, this time completely ignoring her efforts to redirect the conversation to the two of them.

She was about to rebuke him for this, but she paused, realizing that their confrontation was solely about them and not Elijah.

She attempted to reaffirm her efforts by mentioning the fact that she had spoken to the Noble brother herself, implying that all advice she was offering at the moment was her own.

Keira's attempts at discussing their issues were immediately halted, as the Original dismissed her attempt to redirect the conversation away from the interference of Elijah.

"Niklaus that is not— No, this is about us, not Elijah, I spoke to him about-"

He cut her off once again, firmly establishing that he did not wish to discuss the issue of the Noble Brother any further.

Niklaus suddenly turned to face her directly, with rage and disdain clearly evident on his face.

His scowl betrayed the anger and resentment that he still held towards her after their argument.

However, he wasn't going to let the conversation remain at just that, as he now accused her of trying to play him against his brother.

"It's always going to be like this, every woman, that I tend to think I have, ends up going to Elijah. He and I are not going to be a part of these games, you females tend to play towards us."

Niklaus's comments definitely had the intended effect of upsetting Keira, as she felt her anger mounting and her frustration increasing with each word.

This was not the first time that the Original had made comments like these in an attempt to push her away, but this time, she was determined to prove that she was not like the others.

The pain of him speaking in such an insulting and condescending manner towards her was like a knife to the heart, and the emotional toll was unbearable. It left her feeling profoundly hurt and wounded that the person she cared for had spoken so cruelly.

Keira's anger caused her eyes to flash red unintentionally, as she stepped forward and confronted the Original directly, not one to back down in the face of his dismissal.

She made it clear that she was not going to let him dismiss her so easily, and she was determined to break through the wall he was building.

"I am doing this, Niklaus," she asserted, her voice filled with strength and conviction. "I am not going to just let you push me away. I did not choose anyone. There was never a choice to begin with."

Keira continued to confront him directly, expressing her sincere remorse for the things she had said previously and admitting her fault in that regard.

However, she refused to apologize for having sought out Elijah for advice on approaching the Original, for the Noble Son was of utmost importance to his elder brother.

She recognized that he knew Niklaus better than anyone else, so she had taken the initiative to seek his counsel and wisdom in navigating their complicated situation.

Keira revealed that her attachment to the Original was not just based on the fact that he was her imprint, but there were deeper roots that also fueled her affection for him.

She acknowledged that she cared for him, and she elaborated by explaining that she was drawn to the person that he truly was regardless of how he had wanted her to transform into a hybrid.

She confessed that she was in the wrong for bringing up his past, even if she had done so with good intentions. She realized that it was not her right to judge him for his past.

"It will always be for you"