Chapter 1

My throat burned.800 years I had learned to deal with the hunger.  A simple few moments of pleasure for the human that broke it and all would be well.

That was before though.  Something happened in the world I used for my own purposes.  The humans were gone.  One day everything went black and they just disappeared.  Their world is full of Wicked Unseelie now.  Those filthy leeches that had always resided in the prison in faerie until now.

I was forced to hunt animals, and well their blood stopped the burn it did not satisfy my needs.

You see, I am Sobaan.  800 years I have controlled my own needs, I have used human's thoughts and emotions as well as their blood.  I am a half breed.Part of Fae, part vampire.  Blood is necessary for food but emotions are my real need.  I feel what they feel, the rush like a high for me.  I crave it more than the blood.

In my need I have been driven to return to my faerie home.  Frost, a longtime friend has sent a messenger with news of a "blood service"  that he can set up for me.  Willing fae have come forward to feed me until what ever is happening to the humans ends.

I wander through the almost silent halls of my home.Faerie is almost as sick as the human world is empty.  Well, I care little for their troubles, I must feed from emotions before I lose my controlling go mad.Sure, the blood from the fae helps, but those lower fae have no thoughts or emotions beyond doing as their master asks.

And noise interrupts my musings.  Something has opened my gate.  I quickly cloak myself in shadows and glamour.  I am nothing should eyes seek me.

I softly slide into the front entry.  The knob on the door turns slowly if someone tries it.  Hinges creek as the door opens.

I stumble as emotions rush towards me.  Hope, fear and need fill my senses.  Somehow a human is here in my home.  My mouth waters as I imagined the feel of my teeth sinking into it's throat.  The feel of hot blood rushing into my mouth as their feelings flow through me.

A blond curl comes into view before a small female face peeks in.

"Hello?" She calls out, as her body enters my home.  She is dressed in filthy, tattered clothes.  Her face is muddy, several scratches and cuts can be seen on her face and hands.

I have no staff to answer her and she clearly seems to believe the house to be empty.

I watch as she closes the door and begins down the hall.  Silently I follow as she searches.  Lastly we enter the kitchen.

Ah, she must be hungry.  She finds food that is slightly old in the fridge.  Her smile and joy blasts me as she bites into a wrinkled apple.

"Hello?" She called again, no one other than me is here.  Her voice echoes in the stillness.  She seems unbothered by being alone though.  She finds more food and hums as she eats.

I soak up the feelings she is projecting.  I must find a way to keep her, to do this I need staff, food.

I mist myself out of the room and focus my thoughts on Frost.  Soon I am in his private sitting room.  Luck is with me as he is alone.

"Good lord!" Frost seems surprised by my sudden appearance.

"My apologies Frost.  I need your help" I request.

"Help?  With what Sobaan?"

"A staff.  My home is empty and dark.  I wish to have it looked after." I reply not bothering to reveal why I really need them.

"Come to accept your stay here then?"Frost teases.

"Yes, also drink if you have any.  I find I am in need more often now."

Frost jumps to his feet and calls out orders to someone in the hall.

Soon, a warm glass that's before me.  The ruby red blood glistens invitingly as I tip it towards my mouth.  My fangs bump the glass as the smell makes them lengthen .

" Staff will arrive shortly.  Is there anything else need?"

I shake my head no.  Frost has been a friend for many years.  He allows me my inconsistencies, my odd behavior.

"I cannot remain here.  Your staff causes too much strain on my control Frost.  I trust these people you're sending me will not?"

"No, brownies and sprites.  You will feel their happiness at their work but little else.  They will come as needed only.  Plus, you know brownies, they prefer to do their work alone."

"My thanks.  I must go.  Perhaps all longer visit next time." I nod preparing to mist.

"A moment Sobaan.  Have you seen or heard anything?"

"No, Frost.  I search nightly but other than Wicked Unseelie, there's no change.  I cannot see what has caused this." I shake my head.

Frost nods waving his hand as he motions for me to go.  Not needing another second, I picture my room at home and close my eyes.

Ah, there, I can hear her downstairs.  Hurry emotions are calmer now and she seems happy.

I prepare myself for the coming dawn.  I knew the brownies and sprites would care for her until I awoke.

I sighed and closed in my eyes.  My body stiffened as death claimed me.