Chapter 6

Rising with the barely visible Moon, just the tiniest sliver, I took it as a sign.  It was almost dark out.  The Moon was halfway through its cycle.  It was the perfect night to attempt what I had in mind.

I drank a fresh bottle of blood before drafting in my combat clothes.Misting I carefully retraced the path through the forest two the edge of the camp.  Fires burned but all was quiet.  They seemed a bed for the most part.  I quietly and stealthily made my way around the camp searching it for ogre to test my theory on.

Red caps and trolls were on patrol on the far side of the camp.  They were on restless alert.  I settled in nearby and watch them for a bit.  It was a boring vigil, however soon a familiar shape walked toward them.

I quickly wrapped my cloak of darkness and glamour about me, glad I was prepared this time.

That call thing creature I had met in the forest, walked into camp.  I shuddered as it leaned to paint roles as though they were pets.

I followed along the tree line watching as the creature continued to the main tent.  I could not hear anything from this distance but watch as a slightly caller red cap entered the same tent.  Time passed string which I saw food being taken into the tent.  The meeting was happening I assumed as I settled into wait.

The tent door was flung back is the red cap leader exited.  He seemed angered awaited for the creature.

" It will be done Baliwick" the creature spoke.

"Yes, Mage." He replied.

A Mage?  That's why I couldn't control the compulsions.  Mages were dark powerful witches or warlocks.  Dark magic came with a price but was rarely able to disobey once it was used on you.

" Also Baliwick, the humans are being over spelled.  Stop wasting my powers on them.  A light trance will keep them compliant with out the slack eyed creatures you have here." The Mage scoffed at Baliwick.

"We only need to replace them with the changelings and then you may have them anyways." The Mage continued.

"Are the changelings ready?"

"Almost Mage.  Tomorrow evening we will send them to the human world."

The Mage nodded and the two walked to the edge of the clearing.  I stayed well back.  A Mage with teleport away.  It used an abundance of power, trying magic from the air around them.  I did not want myself revealed should intend to use my power as well.

Seconds later the Mage gone.  The red cap leader walked back to his old tent, snapping at a hobgoblin as he went.

Now was the time.  I scouted the tree line again, avoiding trolls.  Near the human cages an ogre was passed out.  Looking around I made sure I was alone.  I drew more darkness to me and leaned over the ogre.  A smell of filth rose up to meet me.  It was overpowering and I struggled to breathe only through my mouth.  My fangs slid out as I bit down, drinking.Ogre blood was as foul and as they smelled.  I wiped my mouth swallowing hard to keep it down.  I stepped back into the tree line and climbed a tree.  Closing my eyes I focused on the ogre.  I swiftly implanted the idea to gather the humans, lead them into the woods and abandon them.  I gave him the image of a red cap leader as the person giving the order.

Opening my eyes I watched the ogre awake and do is I had planned.  It was late and no one questioned or approached it.  Soon, I was following about 25 humans and the ogre into the woods, as the camp slept on.

Soon we reach the edge and I linked my mind to it's.  Their original implant was fraying, it's brain beginning to fight it.  I quickly stepped up behind it, drawing my iron blade.  I drove it swiftly into its brain just at the base of it's skull.  It sank to it's knees as it died.

The humans remained as they were.  No one moved or showed any signs of watching me kill the ogre.  I grabbed the rope from the ogre's fist and tugged.  The humans meekly followed.

Soon we were approaching my home.  Well I had rooms to place everyone in, dawn was coming quickly and I could not leave them just roaming as I died.  I led them into my cellar, made sure to give them all drinks of water as well as to leave a chamber pot.  If they awoke from the spell they would be fine until I returned.

Sighing I climbed the stairs to my own room, locking the door.  I drank another bottle blood to sustain myself and keep the hunger at bay.  I removed my combat clothes and lay down.  Exhaustion was sweeping through me, my limbs becoming heavier as death again claimed by soul with the rising sun.