Chapter 4

My mind was hazy, my thoughts not my own.  I could see and hear but not do any movement of my own.

I was in the secret room I used to meet Frost.  I could feel darkness around me but could not drop it.  My voice echoed in my mind calling for Frost.  The secret door slid open as he stepped in.  Oh god!  I tried to fight the impulse that beat at my mind.  That creature in the forest, it was forcing me.

I argued with Frost, the words not sinking into my brain as I thought control over the compulsion.  Searing pain gripped me as he turned at a noise, opening this secret door.

As a beautiful sidhe-seer stared at my shadowed form, I felt my own hands grasp one of my iron daggers and throw it.

Her gasp cause him to turn.  The glade dug into shoulder or back I could not tell which as my brain hazed again.

Suddenly I could move.I misted out of the room and home as quickly as I could.

What had happened?  It was drifting away already.

I misted back to that secret room.  Blood a covered the floor and my own dagger remained although everyone else was gone.  I grabbed the blade, it was bloodied.  Had I really stabbed my friend?  I ran my finger into the blood, silver glinted in it as I raised my finger to my mouth.

Yes, Frost's image rose to my mind as I tasted the blood.  I must have done it.

I wiped of my blade clean on my pants and strapped it in place.  A though I could not see how the creature in the forest had controlled me, it clearly had.  Frost was somewhere bleeding, possibly dying from wounds I had caused.

Breathing deeply I closed my eyes and focused on the activity of his household.  Fear, anxiety and surprisingly hope welled to meet me.  Hope?  I traced this feeling to a room with the sidhe-seer I had seen.  I misted there and heard a small winged creature tell her it was time.

Time for what?  I wondered.  I slowly tracked the two through Frost's house.  They stop before a Moon door.  Its black color and pictures of the moon's cycles glowed brightly before us.

The two spoke before the sidhe-seer entered the room.  Here I couldn't go.  Powerful magic had happened here before.  As one of the Monstrous, I was unable to walk into such a place without an imitation.

I waited in the shadows, trying to hear.  Yes, normal vampires have beyond human hearing but my senses were still scrambled from whenever that evil creature had done to me.

I sank to the floor in a darkened corner to wait, listening to low voices, chanting and suddenly a fresh smell of blood.  Frost was bleeding still, what were they doing?

I heard a louder voice answering a question I had not heard.  It seemed a a great Decider had come to help them.  Power rang out from the voice.  My thoughts rose, surely Frost would survive if such a great being was there.

More low voices and the smell of blood wafted towards me, and finally  footsteps.  I cloaked darkness and glamour tightly around me, disappearing behind a huge vase.Frost, the sidhe-seer and a cloaked figure passed my hidden spot.

I sighed with relief, Frost had somehow survived and seemed that no worse off despite iron poisoning my blades would have caused.

I waited until their voices receded then misted myself home.  It had been a very long night.  What ever had happened in the woods had failed.

I gave little thought to the " favor" the creature had promised me as I climbed into my bed.

All full Moon was sliding away as dawn began to fill the world.  My room was completely dark, no light could penetrate the steel window shutters protecting me.

I decided to give orders to remove everyone from this home to my summer house tomorrow.  I wanted to keep my human and Frost's servants safe should that creature dare come back near me.

It would not try that again or survive another meeting.  I vowed just as death claimed to me.