Thoughts

Slowly pushing the cart down the isle, Kate squinted her eyes while trying to read the medicine labels and sort them into their proper bins. Slowly reaching into the pocket of her scrubs she placed her glasses onto her nose and smiled before mumbling, "Now I can see." She was able to make it to work on time, but was left with a damp bun that would occasionally drip down the back of her scrubs. She was a mess. But being assistant manager, she was willing to work the nine hour shift. She was just happy to be getting payed. The buzzing noise of the drive thru intercom rang causing her to flinch before calling to one of her coworkers, "Hey, we have someone at the drive thru. Can one of you guys get it?" When she was met with silence the buzzer repetitively rang again, causing her to scoff and walk towards the glass. Grabbing the phone she turned and laughed, "Flea?! What are you doing here?" She laughed as he pressed his face against the glass and spoke into the intercom, "I was driving by and wanted to come say hi! Hi!"

"Hi!" She smiled, chuckling at his weird faces. Flea broke the laughter by saying, "Your coming to the bar concert tonight?"

"Yes I am. I might be late because I'm here til six."

"The concert starts at eight."

"Really? Anthony told me seven."

"Nope. Eight o'clock sharp. Anthony probably wanted you to come to the mini party backstage at seven."

"Oh. I see."

"You can still come though if you want! But you don't really seem like the party type."

"Yeah. I'll go grab some dinner after work and then come to the show for eight."

"Cool. Alright I'd better be heading off. I've been distracting you from work. And the surprise behind you. Later!" Flea smiled before getting back into his car and pulling away from drive-thru. She frowned in confusion as to what he meant by surprise but turned around to see Dave standing on the other side of the counter with his hands behind his back.

"Oh, Dave! Sorry I didn't see you." Kate softly spoke before walking to the counter and chuckling, "Do you need a prescription? Or..."

"Or?" Dave asked while smiling at her. When she failed to reply he smiled, "I um, came to see you. I wanted to give you these." Slowly pulling the flowers from behind his back she smiled, "Oh! Dave. You "didn't have to do that, really." Slowly taking the flowers from him he teased, "I'm assuming you slept in late again by the look of your hair?" She laughed while shaking her head before replying, "No. Actually, Anthony stopped by this morning to talk to me and we lost track of time. But I decided to take a fast shower before I left, so technically I was running late. Sleeping in late, no. But running late? Yes." Taking a deep inhale of the flowers she looked up at him and smiled, "Beautiful. Thank you."

"You are going tonight, right? At seven?"

"Yes but I'm gonna come at eight. I don't feel like partying."

"Awe, really? It'll be fun!"

"No thanks. I'm gonna get dinner after work."

"How about I take you out to dinner? My treat."

"No that's ok. Thank you, though. Go have fun and party before the show."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." She smiled before he nodded, "Alright. I'll see you later?"

"Mhm." Kate nodded, before he leaned over the counter and gave her a quick hug before leaving. Dave Navarro was a sweet guy. But Kate just wasn't interested. She felt she had better things to do than fawn over some guy. Walking over to the phone she dialed a number and patiently waited until she heard Candy's voice ring through the phone, "Hey, cutie! What's up?"

"Why did you make Dave bring me lilacs. You only know lilacs are my favorite flowers." She snapped into the phone, slightly annoyed at her best friend.

"Damn. I forgot that I only knew that. I'm sorry! But you two would look so cute together! I told him he would have a chance with you!"

"Candy! Stop! Stop telling guys that they would have a chance with me. Especially if I'm not interested."

"Ugh! Your no fun anymore. Ever since your breakup with J-"

"Ahem."

"Sorry. Ever since your break with the man who shall not be named, you've been bitter."

"I don't think of it as being bitter, I just don't have the time to worry about boys. I'm twenty years old. Almost twenty one. I'm an adult. I can take care of myself." Kate explained, while staring down at the lilacs in her hand. She heard Candy sigh and pout into the phone, "Awe! My little baby is growing up. It feels like yesterday you just turned eighteen. And now look at you. Almost twenty one." It's been one hell of a ride, Kate thought to herself while slightly chuckling. Starting to notice the line forming at the counter she quickly spoke into the phone, "Alright I better get going. It seems as if I'm the only one working here today. We'll talk later." Quickly hanging up, she walked over to the counter and proceeded to ask for peoples names before going to hunt for their prescriptions.

Just when the mad rush ended she turned to the clock and groaned to notice only three hours had passed. This is the shift from hell, she thought to herself while sitting down on the stool next to her desk. She stared at the wall ahead of her, deep in thought about everything that had happened so far throughout her morning. Dave. Anthony. Flea. Candy. They all were checking in on her. To make sure she was ok. Many thoughts came to her mind as she sat there causing her to think, Why have they all been doing this? I'm fine. Right? A year has passed. For three hundred and sixty five days they've all done the same thing. Check in on me. Make sure I'm alright. Why? Why have they been more precautious than ever. Why are they all doing this?