Sincere Apologies

"Hey! Thanks for picking me up!" John sighed as he opened the passenger door to Kate's car. He had called her late the night before, asking if she could drive him to the grocery market the next morning. She agreed, but John was bothered by the fact he had heard a male voice in the background. It had to be the person she was seeing. He wanted to know who it was, it was biting at him like an itchy sweater. He didn't want to upset Kate by asking her, he promised he would stay out of it. They were friends at the moment, nothing more.

"No problem. You called me late last night." She replied while looking over her shoulder, rolling the car into the street.

"You answered. You were up late. How come? Hm?"

"Couldn't sleep." She snapped, trying to dismiss his question. Dave visited her again last night. They would usually meet up late at night. They would spend there nights eating dinner together, trying to break the tension that was once between them. Dave was a sweet guy, Kate knew that. She remembered how clingy he was, but Dave had promised to change that. And so far he was, he never asked where she was going all the time. Kate felt free, not bound in an emotional game also known to her as relationships. It annoyed her John didn't have his license but there was nothing she could do to change his stubborn mind. The two sat in silence as she cranked the ac up, trying to block out the heatwave they became exposed too.

"Have you thought about getting your license?"

"No. I don't think they'll let me. I have had so many overdoses."

"I see. That's sad."

"Whatever. I never wanted my license anyway, I'm to clumsy."

"You used to say that all the time."

"History repeats itself I guess. When we dated you had to drive me all over town, and here we are now."

"Except the only difference this time is we aren't in a relationship." She sighed, it stung John. Every time he brought up something involving their history together she shot it down. John didn't know how to talk to this woman.

"Do you want to get something to eat? Before we go grocery shopping?" John asked, trying to break the tension until Kate snapped back,

"No! John. No. I'm sorry. No. We're just friends-"

"What's wrong with getting something to eat? I'll pay! That's what friends do!"

"No John! Stop. Is this a game to you? I'm dating Dave-" She paused before wincing. Wishing she could hit a reset button on her mouth, she braced herself for what John had to say.

"Wait, you're dating Dave? Dave fucking Navarro?"

"...."

"Answer me. Kate." He asked again. When she didn't  answer he raised his voice, "Pull over. God damn it! Pull the fucking car over!" She pulled into the nearest parking lot, located in a small shopping center. There were barely any cars, it almost seemed abandoned. She put the gear shift into park before turning the car off and sighing really loud. She wanted to scream. The amount of tension between them was so thick, it could barely be cut with a knife. He was angry, she was angry.

"I just want to know why you went back to Dave-" He began to ask before being cut off.

"No! You don't have the right to know. It's my god damn business. I'm trying to figure it out. I don't need you getting involved in my love life."

"Do you love him."

"John, stop."

"Do you fucking love him, Kate?" John yelled, his voice cracking. Kate burrowed her head into her hands, feeling her hot tears press against her palms. Her face had turned a dusty pinkish color. She didn't want to be there. She wished to be somewhere else, away from Dave, John, everyone.

"What are you going to do? Marry him? Have his kids? Are you serious about this? Are you just doing this to piss me off?" He argued, tears forming in his eyes. He punched the glove box, making a loud noise that made her jump.

"I don't know. I don't know, John. I don't know anything. My purpose, whether I like my job, my love life. I feel so lost. Please. Stop yelling."  Kate cried out loud, before accidentally hitting her head on the steering wheel. She gasped before bringing her hands up to her face. John quickly unbuckled, his hands immediately traveled up to her cheeks.

"Are you ok?"

"Don't touch me John." Kate yelled. His eyes widened, no. John you idiot, look what you've done, he thought to himself as more tears filled his eyes.

"I want to touch you, Kate. Let me help you please. Whatever you need I'm here for you. Please." His words rang like bells relatively in her head. Her head began to get a migraine. His hand rested on top of hers, giving her a reassuring squeeze. She slowly squeezed his hand back, staring ahead into the parking as tears rolling down her cheeks. They sat in silence for a couple minutes, soaking in the entire situation. They both wanted to mend there friendship. John wanted something more. Kate didn't know what she wanted. She pulled her hand away from his before stepping out of the car where she began to pace back and forth, trying to relieve her stress.

He slowly made his way out of the car before stopping and leaning against the hood of the car, watching her intently. Both of there eyes were stained from tears. Kate slowly walked towards John before looking up at him. He looked down, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. His thumbs slowly rubbed the tears away from eyes. They were entranced in each other's eyes. Wrapping her arms around his neck she mumbled, "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize. There is no need to apologize. I need to keep my mouth shut-" John began to rant, only to be interrupted by Kate's lips pressing against his.