Stay the Night

Kate's apartment was quiet. The dimmed lights in the kitchen created an eerie affect, while shining out into the dark hallway as if the light were trying to break free from one another. There was nothing to be heard except for the light drizzling noise of water coming from the bathroom as steam seeped from underneath the door. Kate sat on the floor of her shower with her knees curled up to her chest, as she stared at the droplets of water rolling off the marble onto the floor. She was embarrassed, depressed, and angry at how she had acted at the hospital. She didn't mean to shove Anthony. She didn't mean to hurt Dave's feelings. She didn't mean to burst at John. She didn't want to cause a scene. But she let her emotions get the best of her. Life without John was so much simpler. It was plain, but easy. Now that he had come back into her life she couldn't handle all the memories that hit her at once. He looked so different that it broke her heart just imaging the things he had done.

The hot water rolling off her back felt nice as she traced her fingers along the cool marbled wall, moving the drops of water around. Kate frowned to herself before raising her right arm up to try and turn the shower head off. The comfortable feeling of warm water rolling off her back stopped as a rush of cool hit her. "Cold! Cold, cold!" She yelped while grabbing the nearest towel and wrapping it around her body before walking towards the mirror. Her wet hair stuck to her face like glue, and her face was lightly dusted red from the steam of the shower.

She sat on her balcony for what seemed like hours. It was very late at night. Nothing could be seen. Only the sound of waves crashing against the sand could be heard. Everything seemed so peaceful. She lay staring up at the sky thinking about how embarrassed she was. Usually she was able to get over things like this, but this time it was different. How did it end up like this? How did I get here? She thought to herself before being interrupted to the doorbell ringing. Rolling her eyes she grabbed the nearest sweater and pulled it over her head while walking slow towards the door.

"What do you want." She mumbled while leaning against the frame of the door, avoiding eye contact with Dave. The sound of his leather squeaked as he rubbed his arms before sighing, "I just wanted to let you know...I'm out of the band."

"What? Did Anthony kick you out, because I'll tear him to shreds-"

"Kate...Kate! Calm down. It's not Anthony's fault." He mumbled while placing her arms back down at her sides before continuing, "I left." Dave's last remark resulted in a slap to the face as he thought to himself, I probably deserved that. Holding his cheek he closed the door behind him and followed her to the balcony as she ranted, "Why? Dave! Your doing so well right now! Your just going to give up and quit! It's so stupid of you! Ugh, your so annoying-" He interrupted her again while grabbing her waist and kissing her on the lips.

"That kept you quiet. Anyway, let me finish! I left because you know what everyone knows. Ticket prices have gone down. Fans hate me. We haven't gotten any good gigs, damnit Kate do I have to spell it out for you?! You know this isn't a good situation for me and the band. We all get along but I'm just a different type of artist. You know it. I know it. Nobody loves a grungy artist like me." He sighed while holding her.

"That's not true! Everyone loves you! Anthony loves you! Flea loves you! Chad loves you! Candy loves you! The fans love you! Fuck, I love you Dave! Your just going to leave me? I know I haven't really shown it but you don't understand how important you are to me. Your so kind to me...Please don't leave me. Please, please. Please don't leave me." Kate softly cried while gripping onto his front shirt. She felt like this was all her fault. She exploded on him. She felt so guilty inside, disgusted with herself.

"I'm leaving in the morning. With a friend. I'm going up North. I'm still staying in California." He softly mumbled while placing his chin on top of her head before continuing, "I'll still come and visit you. Kate, nothing will change between us. I promise. Ok? Look at me." Slowly looking up at him with watery eyes she smiled before he lightly placed a kiss onto her lips. There kiss slowly began to turn more heated before they quickly broke away. Laughter erupted from both of the two as Dave mumbled, "Sorry."

"No it's fine." Kate laughed while looking away. The sound of waves crashing startled the two. Walking towards the edge of balcony, she leaned against the metal bars while staring off into the darkness. Dave slowly walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist before mumbling, "I'm sorry. Your mad at me."

"I'm not mad at you. I'm just nervous for you. Do you think this is the best decision for yourself? Are you sure you want to quit the band?"

"Yes."

"Ok. Then you have nothing to worry about I guess." She mumbled before leaning back into his embrace. He slowly leaned into the crook of her neck and placed soft kisses along her skin. She smiled before turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck. The two stared at each other for what seemed like forever.

"You should stay the night." Kate smirked before kissing him on the lips. The two slowly kissed their way into her bedroom. Dave quickly closed the door behind them before the two began to strip of their clothes. Fuck. What a night this is turning out to be, she thought to herself before being pushed into the mattress.