The Guest

"Hey pretty girl!" Kate smiled down at Flea's little girl Clara who had opened the front door for her. She giggled before hugging Kate's leg and taking off into a sprint back inside the house.

"I guess I can come in now?" Kate mumbled before stepping into Flea's house. It was a small, cozy house, but that's how she liked houses. She liked small spaces. Her apartment was enough. To others it may seem small, but to her it was larger than life. Flea and Kate were alike in that sense. They both liked to keep to themselves and live in their own little world. The smell of lavender incense filled her nose as she slowly closed the door behind her and walked to where she had thought she heard Clara's footsteps follow. As she entered the living room she was greeted to Flea who was hanging upside down, strapped to some contraption while humming to himself. He immediately opened his eyes when he heard her footsteps and smiled, "Katie-pie! I'm so glad your here! Your here to babysit Clara for me, right?"

"Yeah...I'm glad I'm here too." She smiled before hearing the slight faint sound of a guitar being strummed. Frowning she turned and mumbled, "Flea, what is that?"

"What's, What?" He asked while quickly removing himself from the weird machinery, and jumping back onto the floor while stretching.

"I thought...I thought I heard the sound of a guitar." Kate laughed before continuing, "Did Clara learn how to play?"

"Hm? No! I'm getting my guest room remodeled and the lovely gentleman remodeling likes to listen to music while he repaints." He sighed while scratching the back of his head.

"Really? I must go see-"

"No! No, Kate! Leave the poor man alone. Let him complete his work. I'd rather you see the room when it's finished."

"Ok, fine. But it better be worth the wait! Now, how long are you going to be gone? Do you want me to stay here with Clara or do you want me to take her to my house?"

"Would you mind taking Clara to your house? She's been so rowdy here lately. Maybe you can take her to your house and have a fun girls night? I won't be away for long. I'll be back at your house for seven." Flea asked while grabbing his guitar case for the gig tonight. The band had booked a gig a little far outside of town. It was about a forty five minute drive there and back, but the band was desperate to take any gig they could get. There was quite a controversy about Dave joining the band. Many felt he was different then the rest. Yes every member in the band was different from one another, but Dave was different on an artistic level. It often became difficult when trying to create music because his aesthetic was completely different then everyone else's. The Red Hot Chili Pepper fanbase was not happy. Fans protested about the new guitarist Dave Navarro, and his sense of fashion. But Anthony didn't care about that. Nobody in the band did. Dave was different, but that's what made him unique. As the band continued to keep Dave apart of their family, ticket prices went down. Less and less people showed up to their gigs. There profit in cds and records had split in half. Everyone was lost. The band knew Dave should leave for the better of himself and the band. But no one wanted to admit it, not even Dave.

"Would you like me to lock up? Or are you going to stay here a little longer before the gig?" Kate asked him while holding Clara's hand.

"No, no. Thank you though, sweetheart. I'm going to lock up. I usually leave it open so the remodeler can let himself out. Bye Clara! Have fun on your girls night out!" He laughed while leaning down to tickle Clara's stomach who responding by giggling and giving him a light kiss on the cheek. Once the two girls were gone Flea made his way to his guest bedroom. Opening the door he entered before closing it behind him and snapping to the man, "Are you crazy?! I told you not to play the guitar this afternoon because I was expecting a guest."

"I know...I'm sorry. I forgot. I-uh....couldn't help but listen. Was that her?" The man replied. But it was no remodeler. In fact, the room was in the same shape it had always been in. Nothing new was done. Nothing was moved. The only thing different was the person now living in the guest bedroom.

"John. Don't worry about who it was." Flea sighed to the now bony, long-haired John Frusciante. The amount of change he had gone through the past year mentally, and physically was insane. After the breakup John had nowhere to go. He had no house, no money, and no hope. It wasn't Kate's fault. He made this decision. He became homeless for a while and went back to his hate, love relationship with heroin. It almost killed him this time. Flea came to the rescue and forced John into rehab. Rehab was hell. At his stay in the rehabilitation center he slowly grow anemic, and depressed. This made his stay even longer. But now he was out. He was released about a month ago and had been living with Flea in secret. No one knew. This secret was kept between himself and Flea.

"Flea...Was that Kate? Please tell me." John pleaded, bringing Flea back into reality before he replied, "Yeah."

"I knew it. Her voice sounded a little different. Does she look different?"

"Yeah. Her hair is a little longer and she wears glasses now. No more contacts."

"Ah, I see. I missed her so much. When will I get to see her again? When will I get to see Anthony? Chad? Candy?"

"I...I don't know. Not now, John. Nows not the right time. Everyone is finally stable. It was rough when you left." He explained to his friend before giving him a soft pat on the back and frowning, "I have a gig tonight. We'll talk more about it when I come home later. Ok?"

"Ok..." John sighed before running his fingers through his hair and thinking about her voice. So calm, so relaxed. So...monotone.