22 - Chick Flick Moments

Dean

"I wanna drop the match in," Nova says, holding her hands out.

"Sure. I don't see why it matters—"

"First hunt. I do the honors," she says. She takes the match, strikes it against the side of the box, and drops it on the pile of bones below us. Mrs. Tabitha Gilroy is enveloped in a rush of flames, and Nova drops the box of matches on the ground just beside the hole.

"Shit!" She yells, bending over to pick it up. Her fingers find it in the darkness, and she stands up straight, handing them to me. I pocket them, and turn to her.

"Nice job, kid," I say, smiling at her. She smiles wide back.

"You know, it's a little weird, you calling me kid and all," she confesses.

"Force of habit."

"What do I call you? Old man?"

"Hey!" I bark at her. She laughs.

"Let's face it, Dean. You're no spring chicken anymore," she says. I shake my head, feeling the smiles tug at my lips.

"Well. Better to reach old age than die young, you know?"

She nods. "You're right. I remember---for the longest time, I didn't think I'd make it past 24. And now here I am. I'm turning 30 this year, Dean."

I scoff, and shake my head. "My god, seriously?"

"Yeah. Can you believe that? I...it feels weird."

"I still imagine you as this tiny sixteen year old girl."

"Wouldn't that be weird? Since I'm dating Sam and all?"

"Oh, hun. I've spent pretty much every day with Sam, and I still can't see him other than him as a little kid."

"That's...I don't know if that's adorable or creepy."

"Pick your poison, join the party."

A while later, the flames die down, and we move the dirt back on top of the coffin.

"Dean. What do you think our parents think about this?"

I stop, watching the shovel float in mid-air seemingly in front of me.

"Honestly? I try not to think about it."

"Why not?"

"I lost Mom so young, I don't know what she'd think. I'd like to think she'd be happy I got an old friend, and Sammy's got a girl to love who didn't die right after he got sweet on her. And Dad? I think he'd be happy to have you around, but he'd be barking orders at us to practically keep the kids locked in the iron room and make sure they don't see the light of day until they're good and ready."

"Do you really think so? With John?"

"Either that, or he'd be training them with throwing knives starting when Chandler showed up."

Nova stops. She looks at me. "I...I guess so. Sounds like the John I remember."

"Yeah. Well. Hey. He'd love you, and he'd love the kids. I wasn't the only one keeping an eye and ear out for you, you know?"