25 - Premature

Nova

Another Month Later

"There's no way it can be anything else," Sam says to me. He shuts his laptop lid, and looks to me. "It's got to be a vampire."

I nod in agreement, and I feel my hands shake. I sigh. He looks at me intently.

"Are you okay?" he asks me. I nod. I can feel my breath catch in my throat, and my heart pound much too hard. I breathe in from my nose, and out through my mouth, slowly, deeply. Sam puts his hands on my shoulders.

"Listen. Everything's gonna be fine. You don't have to go. Dean'll take over for you. It's not a big dea—"

"Don't tell me it's not a big deal. It's a huge deal. And I need to do this. I need to do this just...for closure. You know?"

"Okay. Are you sure?"

"I'm positive," I say. I nod, and look at him with all the courage I can muster. I can feel his gaze on me. Sincerity, concern, love, all wonderful feelings that have grown between us these past few weeks melted into his beautiful face. I feel the knot in my throat loosen a little, and the slightest whisper of a smile brushes against his lips like an afterthought. He takes a deep breath, exhales, and leans in until I can smell the slight hint of sandalwood on his skin.

"I'm going to protect you. We're going to make it through this, okay?" he says. I look away, down to my fingers, which are still trembling. He reaches out and grabs them, brushing the back of my hand with his thumb. I squeeze lightly, and he squeezes back. I can feel myself swoon at this small connection.

"I know," I say. "I just..."

"We're going to take care of it, and then we'll head home. Then...tell you what. We'll take some time off. Me and you. Just us two. No kids. We'll...we'll head out to, I don't know. Someplace nice. Like...I don't know. We'll take the weekend. Okay?"

I nod again. "Okay."

"But listen. Only if you're absolutely positive. I'm not about to toss you in—"

"I'm positive. I'm...I've been waiting for this chance for years."

"Okay," he says. I stand up, and I feel a wave of nausea roll over me like high tide.

"Woah. You okay? You just went pale." Sam says. I nod. He pulls me in for a hug, holding on tightly. I wrap my arms around his waist, and breathe into his chest. I feel the buttons of his flannel shirt press against my nose, and I feel his hand rub across my back.

"Hey," he says. I look up at him, and he smiles. He brushes a piece of hair I didn't know was in my eyes, and cups his hand against my cheek. He reaches in, and I feel his soft lips on mine as he kisses me sweetly.

Time stands still for a few moments. I feel his hand climb its way up my body and he tangles his fingers in my hair. I let him stay for a few moments, then pull away. His eyes are still closed, and he breathes in and smiles. He looks down to me, and I smile back at him.

We walk down the hallway, into the living room, side by side. Dean stands when he sees us, and glances between him and I.

"So. Did you find—"

"Yes. It's not that far away, but we did find a case."

"Awesome. What is it?"