B2: Chapter 1 - The First Day of School - III

"Well, this is just really unusual," blustered the principal, an older woman with graying hair.

  "The paperwork is all in order, is it not?" Lily asked mildly.

  "Well—"

  "Our registration was submitted on schedule. Jennifer is here on time and eager to attend classes. She tested into this grade successfully. I simply don't see the issue."

  "Your registration details didn't check out, and you registered in August to put her straight into the eighth grade," the woman said exasperatedly.

  "It's a non-resident application for a homeschooled student from out of state," Lily pointed out. "I'm not surprised it doesn't quite fit your usual protocol. However, her standardized scores were above average and she has all the necessary qualifications to attend. If you still aren't certain, please phone your superintendent and mention our case. She's currently awaiting your call."

  "She's what?" The principal was clearly flummoxed. Natalie felt a tiny burst of glee, but she had to hold it in. She was supposed to be the perfect attentive new student. She distracted herself by flicking around the cord to the blinds behind the woman—anything to keep herself from fidgeting in her seat. The principal started to dial and Natalie flicked the cord a little too hard, smacking it audibly against the wall.

  Lily nudged her foot. She let it fall slack and switched to one of her new tricks, murmuring the proper spell under her breath as quietly as she could.

  It took Lily a few seconds to notice the change. Natalie's fingernails were shifting through every color of the rainbow in a perfect dissolve. She smiled innocently. Lily seemed too astonished to tell her off. They hadn't seen that particular spell before, and it was outside Natalie's affinity. She'd come up with it on her own, spending the day staring at a rainbow while sitting up in a tree with Percy and thinking about something Hailey Winscombe had described on the forum. It had taken her a while to connect it with the rainbow colors and how they were just a reflection of her own eye, but she'd gotten it eventually.

  The first time she'd done it, Percy tried to peck at her fingernail, thinking she was infected somehow before she managed to calm him down.

  The principal was still busy on the phone, so Lily took Natalie's hand and brushed her finger against the shifting nail. Lily clearly expected it to change as she blocked the line of sight. She thought it was a light spell—just an illusion like Cinza's. Natalie smiled even wider. She was better than that.

  Natalie abruptly released the spell as the principal dropped the phone back on the receiver. The old woman put her fingers to her temples and closed her eyes. "I don't know who you people are, but I guess I have no choice."

  "Thank you," said Lily gently. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. If it's any consolation, I promise you that really, all we wish is for Jennifer to receive a normal education."

  "Is there anything I can do to help that along?" she asked reluctantly. Natalie wondered what sort of pressure Kendra had on the poor principal, even without her real name to lean back on. She knew it had something to do with money. Kendra and Lily were always working, and they made frequent trips out into the city for important meetings. Natalie wasn't sure what they did exactly, but she knew they were powerful people.

  She was still getting used to them without red hair though. Kendra and Lily with brown hair was just weird. They looked too pale for it. It matched Natalie's hair, but it wasn't totally convincing. Not to Natalie at least. She wished she could have changed her hair to red instead. That would have been so much more fun, but everyone insisted that she never get involved in any kind of ritual. Permanent hair color changes—the kind that didn't keep pulling at your magic—could only be done with a ritual, and Natalie wasn't allowed to do those, according to Rachel.

  "I'm sure Jennifer will be fine as a typical pupil," Lily replied. "I assume you have some sort of program to assist transferring students? Enrolling her in that system would probably be for the best."

  "There's something in place, yes. I'll make sure she gets a good guide." The principal turned slightly to face Natalie. "Welcome to the Seattle public school system, Miss Heshire."