B2: Chapter 5 - Rules of the Game - II

Since it was so nice out, especially for October, Natalie decided to eat lunch outside for once, not cramped in a bathroom stall. She was sitting just around the corner of the building from where the cafeteria doors let out. Most kids went the opposite direction, where they could run around on the field, play basketball and other games on the blacktop, or just stand around and talk. Natalie went outside before anyone else, so she wasn't likely to be approached by the other kids, but still close enough to quickly get back inside if she had to.

  "I heard she's adopted."

  Natalie's ears perked up. Someone had started talking nearby. She was pretty sure it was one of the girls in the popular clique. Blake, maybe? I know that stuck up voice. Yeah, it's Blake for sure, with all her dumb friends.

  "Come on, where did you hear that?"

  "Isn't it super obvious? She calls her mom by her first name. She never said anything about a dad. She has to take city buses to get around. She's totally adopted for sure."

  More voices joining the first. Natalie assumed it was the entire group of girls, though she was surprised they'd gone outside at all. Usually they stuck to their table at lunch, or occasionally went to the best bathroom in North Hall to try on makeup and talk about boys.

  "Oh my god, adopted and weird."

  "Weird like how?"

  "I mean, she's such a loner! And she talks to animals like she's a Disney princess or something."

  Natalie flinched. So someone had noticed.

  "And that hair. I mean, oh my god, does she know what shampoo is or anything?"

  Natalie picked up a few strands of brown hair from where it lay on her shoulder. That last comment really confused her—her hair was totally fine. She didn't do anything special with it, but her hair was definitely clean and healthy.

  "It's like she's never even heard of styling."

  "Come on, she's just trying to pull off that small town hick look. She does it super great, too."

  She realized what was happening, and for a second she thought she might burst out laughing. The girls kept talking, needling her on her waist, her boobs, her legs. How her clothes seemed constantly caked in dust or dirt, or her out-of-date purse. Anything physical—because they obviously didn't know a thing about her otherwise. Natalie just took it all in from behind the wall, trying not to laugh. Is that all you've got, Blake?

  "Hey, at least she's actually cool," cut in a nasally male voice. Natalie fought the urge to glance around the corner, wondering who the new voice was. She didn't recognize him at all. "Y-you're all just vain bullies."

  "Vain bullies?" Blake sneered. "Careful Tyler, you don't want to have another attack, do you? I don't think the nurse can hear us from here."

  "You don't have to be such jerks," Tyler replied nervously, but his resolve was breaking. Natalie decided that was as good a moment as any.

  She stepped out from behind the wall. As she expected, Blake and her friends weren't in the least bit surprised to see her—but Tyler's eyes widened behind his thick glasses. He hadn't known Natalie was there at all.

  "What's going on?" she asked casually.

  "We were just leaving." Blake tossed her head slightly, and in tune her followers turned away to march back into the school. "I wouldn't want to get between you and your boyfriend."