Interlude VI - Fame and Fortune - II

"Mr. Price?" called a voice from the front door. It clicked shut a moment later.

  "Here," he called halfheartedly.

  She walked into the second half of the tiny two-room apartment, where Nate was slouched across the couch, controller in one hand with his face half-covered by a pillow. His hand barely moved as he played, while she set down the bags of groceries on the counter.

  Linda cleared her throat. "Mr. Price."

  Nate grunted a low-effort "hmm," in response, not taking his eyes off the screen. He didn't even care about the game anymore. It got boring somewhere around the halfway point. He kept playing just because he hated giving up. It was practically an obligation that he finish, even if every single moment was utter tedium.

  "Mr. Price, I have good news. We were able to secure a publisher."

  His ears perked up. That was different than the usual speech. He paused the game and dragged himself up to a sitting position, knocking aside an empty bag of chips he'd forgotten about. "What does that mean?"

  Nate didn't miss the faint look of disgust that crossed Linda's face. She worked for him, not the other way around. He was going to make them all rich. He deserved a little more respect, didn't he?

  She spoke with the practice, measured cadence of a professional. "We've partnered with publishing firms in the past for anonymous stor—"

  "I don't want it to be anonymous," he interrupted.

  "I'm sorry?"

  "I'm ready. I want to go public. Do everything."

  Linda paused. "Mr. Price, from what you've told me, it seems very likely that you will be attacked if you go public. As your attorney—"

  "You guys can protect me, though, right?"

  "Our speciality is keeping clients under the radar. This sort of move is... well, the exact opposite."

  "So are you saying I need a new lawyer?"

  "Not exactly. But you may want to hire additional security as soon as possible, once you have the funding."

  "You guys can't do it?"

  She shook her head. "The firm can only allocate so much funding to each client."

  "Linda, come on. Remember who I am?" Nate said, sitting up straighter. "You can pay for more. We'll make it all back and then some."

  "We do have other clientele, Mr. Price."

  "No way they're as important as this."

  "I'm not at liberty to disclose that information."

  He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, whatever."

  Linda went on, ignoring him. "In addition to the obvious potential threats from the public, you'll also be dealing with a great deal more federal scrutiny. You should expect a lot of pressure from the FBI, for one."

  "I thought you said I was totally fine there?"

  "You can't be charged with obstruction, since you never actually spoke to anyone from the federal government. But the moment you enter the public eye, you'll receive a summons for questioning. We can't exactly ignore that."

  "Sure we can," said Nate, frowning. "We'll have money. My dad always said, money can buy you out of anything."

  "Your father sounds like he was a fascinating man. Regardless, this will be under the banner of national security. They will bring you in for questioning, unless you want to flee the country and seek asylum?"

  "...No."

  "Good. I wouldn't advise it, either. Not a government on the planet will leave you alone. They'll all see you as a potential resource. Staying in the United States and in the public eye will afford you several advantages."

  "I can't awaken anyone. I don't have anything."

  Linda nodded. "As you've made quite clear."

  "You still think I should leave that in the book?"

  She nodded again. "Any alterations will cast doubt over the legitimacy of your story. There's only so much we can change in the original journal before even the most subtle edits become blatant." She sighed. "As much as I feel it'd be socially responsible to hide the process of acquiring magic, it's simply unavoidable. You will be questioned on it, and it will come out. It's better to head it off immediately."

  "Socially responsible?" he smirked.

  "As I said, Mr. Price, you aren't our only client."

  "Whatever." He leaned back on the couch again and put his feet up, just because he knew it would annoy her. "So you said you found a publisher?"

  "Well, if you want to go public, that changes things a little."

  "How so?"

  Linda shrugged. "There's no need to play coy. I can take this straight to the top of the Times Bestseller list, if you prefer, and get you right onto the talk shows."

  "But—"

  "On a video conference, of course. Or, if you'll allow, we'll bring the host to you. That sort of interview tends to go a lot smoother. More chemistry, less awkward pausing for the transmission delay."

  "...Okay, yeah. That sounds good."

  She gathered up the papers she'd brought in. "In that case, I'll get right to work. Unless there's anything else?"

  "Uhh... yeah. Did you— was there any more news on Hailey?"

  "No. Agent Ashe is now denying that video's legitimacy."

  Nate felt a wave of disappointment. He always liked Hailey. He'd wanted to ask her out a few times, actually, but she'd always been so close with Weston, up until the last year where she seemed to just disappear from campus entirely. Nate didn't believe for a second she was dead, but he'd been hoping she might be just like him—itching to get back into the world for real. He didn't want to be alone, but he definitely wanted to be first.

  Nobody would ever forget who was first.