Interlude VI - Fame and Fortune - VI

"We've got it," Linda said as she came in the room. Ted and Nate had just finished up their last couple interviews earlier that day, though there was always the option for more down the line. Another circuit of live interviews was planned, where Nate would demonstrate on live TV his magical abilities. Under any other circumstances, people might claim it was faked, but with the pedigree of the law firm and the journalists backing them up, there wouldn't be any doubt.

  Linda had just returned with one final piece of the puzzle.

  "Got what?" asked Nate.

  "Gordon Merrill's recording." Linda held up her phone and tapped a button. Voices emitted from the small tinny speaker—voices of the long-dead and missing. Rowan Rhistler, Robert Harrison, Julian Black. Rachel DuValle. Other, less important voices.

  The town hall meeting. The "Emergence".

  "It only contains up until the moment that Rachel tells Hector to kill the electronics, but it provides hard evidence of your story," Linda went on. "We were able to get it from Merrill's cloud account with a court order."

  "Doesn't that show up somewhere?" Nate asked nervously.

  "It's a fairly trivial request, but yes, sooner or later someone will come asking about it. But we don't need to worry about that. I think we're ready."

  Nate got to his feet, as if he was about to run out the door right then. "Finally! When do we start?"

  "Not quite yet, Mr. Price. We start with the tease. Drum up the mystery a bit, reveal there's a survivor and hint at the truth. Give them a weekend for it to really sink in and to let speculation run wild. You won't go on camera until next week."

  "So when are we—"

  "Thursday. It all starts on Thursday."

  Nate nodded. As Linda turned around, he felt a pang of remorse. "Hey, Linda?"

  She stopped. "Yes, Mr. Price?"

  "Thanks."

  "For what?"

  "Everything. The last couple months. You've been amazing."

  "It's my job."

  "Yeah but... thanks."

  Linda nodded. "Was there anything else?"

  "Why didn't you ever ask about awakening? You're the only one I told about all the Scraps that are probably still floating around. You could go find one yourself, if you wanted."

  She shook her head. "It's not for me."

  "But... it's magic. Don't you want to be able to do magic?"

  "Not particularly."

  She sounded so sincere and calm. Nate couldn't understand it. "Do you think it's bad? Like everyone else did?"

  "No."

  "So why not?"

  She hesitated, considering her words. "I'm sure it's a miraculous thing, and it might do the world a lot of good. But I'm content with my life. I don't need it."

  "...It's not about needing magic. There's just so much you can do. It's... there's so many possibilities. And no downsides! Why wouldn't anyone want something like that?"

  Linda shrugged. "It's not for me," she repeated.

  Nate gave up. "There's gonna be a lot of questions coming your way like that, I'd bet."

Convergence - The Last Science #2.1 - In Plain SightOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara