B2: Chapter 14 - Finding Family - IV

For the next two days, Hailey followed her mother around the city, watching everything she did, listening to every conversation she could. She couldn't hear her in her office, too deep into the building even from a ledge outside, but whenever she stepped out for lunch (as Stephanie Winscombe would never bring her own lunch, or deign to eat in a corporate office in any regard if she could help it), Hailey was only a couple dozen steps behind.

  An utterly bewildered Jessica had long-since caught on to the woman Hailey was following, but if she had any idea of their relationship, she made no sign. They kept up the rest of their routine, leaving Stephanie in her condo at night and going out to patrol the alleys and streets of Seattle. Hailey threw herself into it wholesale, trying to cover as much ground as possible even with just the two of them. She sped along the streets like a crazed eagle, swooping and diving around corners, always on the hunt.

  She wondered if she was putting her mother in danger somehow. Nonsense, she decided. She was far more likely to protect her from something than actually cause her harm in some way. Besides, Hailey needed to keep hearing her voice. It was the only thing keeping her sane.

  At one point, she heard her father as well, briefly and through a tinny phone speaker. He'd called to check in, asking if she needed anything, and then asking when they needed to meet for the divorce proceedings. All polite and cordial, but every word grated on Hailey's ears. If they had such a polite and friendly relationship, why did it have to end? She didn't understand, and she couldn't just come out and ask her mother about it.

  After all, Hailey was still supposed to be dead.

  On the third day, early in the morning, they arrived at her condo. Jessica was lounging back on a window ledge, watching a cloud float by, while Hailey dangled her legs off the side and watched the glass doors at the front lobby, waiting for her to come out. They were one block down and three stories up on the corner of the next building, with only a small alley between them and her mother's home.

  Jessica tapped her on the shoulder, and Hailey looked around. She pointed at the door, then drew a circle around them, tilting her head slightly to indicate a question.

  Hailey shook her head.

  Jessica frowned, then pointed at the door again. She made a flat palm, and walked her fingers across, then indicated them both again and made a floating person following the walking one, before asking the question again.

  Hailey sighed. It's about time I was embarrassed in front of her. She shook her head again, unwilling to explain why it was so important they follow this woman around Seattle. Not that Hailey had any sort of endgame in mind here.

  Stephanie walked out onto the street, bag over her shoulder, sunglasses on and phone pressed to her ear. She was headed to her morning workout. Hailey and Jessica glanced around, and there wasn't anyone in sight of them. They could drop to the street and start following her again without much effort. As Hailey reached out to hold her so they could start flying, Jessica shook her head.

  Letting out a sudden whooping noise that could be heard halfway down the street, Jessica turned and leapt off the building into the alley below, forty feet down.

  Without thinking, Hailey dove off the building after her. She caught up quickly, wrapping her arms around her best friend and flaring out her wings at the same time. Even so, it was only barely enough room until the ground to slow down. She sent a burst of wind out to slow them even faster, sending bits of paper and old coffee cups spinning out into the street.

  They collapsed in a heap on the ground. Hailey groaned and rolled off of Jessica, who was grinning mischievously. She giggled, a bit winded from the excitement. As Hailey picked herself up, she heard a slight cough from behind her.

  Very slowly, Hailey turned around to face the entrance to the alleyway. Stephanie was standing there, holding the phone to her ear with her mouth slightly open. Her eyes were hidden by her sunglasses.

  "...Hi," Hailey said finally.

  Stephanie slowly reached up and tapped the phone, hanging up on whoever she was talking to.

  A second later, her phone clattered to the street.

  "What on earth have you done to your hair?"

  Hailey gaped at her. Of all the things she'd imagined her mom might say first, that wasn't one of them.

  "It looks atrocious."

  "Nice to see you too," Hailey mumbled, looking down at the street.

  "Hailey Aurora Elizabeth Winscombe, look at me when you're speaking," she snapped, purely out of instinct. Hailey's eyes instantly jumped back up to hers.

  A second later, Stephanie was sprinting at her. Hailey had a split-second of madness where she thought her mother was about to attack her. Instead, she found herself choked in a tight bear-hug. Out of the corner of her eye, Hailey saw Jessica smiling broadly at the pair of them, thoroughly pleased with herself.

  "Mom, I can't breathe," she gasped after a full minute.

  "Good," said Stephanie, her voice thick.

  "Good?"

  "I'm making sure you're still alive. If you know you can't breathe, that means you still need to."

  "What?"

  Stephanie finally loosened her grip, though she still held Hailey tight. "I assume there's a reasonable explanation for all of this?"

  "...Kinda?"

  She let go in a huff. "Well, come on then. Let's get inside."

  Hailey glanced at the building uneasily. "Does this place have security? Cameras and such?"

  "Only in the lobby. Why?"

  "Let's... uhh," Hailey glanced around. "Oh, to hell with it. Can you go back and open your office window? The one that goes over the alley."

  "What, are you going to climb in?"

  She shrugged. "Sure, let's go with that."

  "Oh, Hailey, this is ridiculous."

  Hailey rolled her eyes. "Mom, you don't know the half of it."

  Stephanie glanced over at Jessica, who was leaning against the wall watching them both with a far-too-satisfied smirk. "Who's this, then?"

  "Can we save it for when we're inside? If one of those guys with the cameras comes around..."

  Stephanie's eyes narrowed. "...Hailey, what are you caught up in?"

  "Just go open your window? Please?"

  Her mom hugged her again, squeezing just as tight as the first time. "You promise you won't leave?"

  "—promise—"

  With a half-laugh, half-sob, Stephanie let go. Straightening her jacket and picking up her phone, she headed back inside.

  Hailey glared at Jessica. "Happy now?" she muttered, not bothering to sign it. Jessica would know what she meant.

  Jessica just beamed at her. Hailey wasn't sure if she was mad or relieved at her friend. For the moment, she left it undecided. As the window above them slid open, Hailey gathered Jessica up, against the girl's protesting hands, and leapt into the air, spreading her wings wide.