B2: Chapter 11 - The Emerald City (Part I) - V

Natalie looked up with a start. The sun had gone down completely, but she hadn't noticed. The lamp above her kept her book nicely lit. There were suddenly a lot fewer people around, and most of the shops were closed and dark. She rubbed at her eyes, trying to get them used to looking at other distances again besides just her book.

  Night had fallen. She was hungry again, but she didn't really want to go back to the mall again. Not when that security guard might still be there. She wandered through the streets, looking around for any food she recognized. As much fun as she'd had exploring every store she came across, she didn't really feel like trying a new food at the same time. She needed something reliable to ground her.

  Still, the city didn't have many restaurants she knew. There was plenty of food, but nothing that looked like her type of food. She kept wandering, hoping something would come up. Luckily she wasn't too hungry, and she still had a couple granola bars in her purse somewhere. She'd be okay.

  Something about the area she was walking into felt off though. There were less friendly, helpful signs and brightly colored shops. It was becoming more plain and gray, more bland and boring. This was more like the sort of city she'd always expected to find from TV or her books. Everything looked a bit more worn down and dirty. Natalie wondered if she should be heading this way, but she still hadn't found anywhere to eat yet.

  Besides, it's not like I'm really in danger. I have magic, right? I'll be okay. They said if it's an emergency to go ahead and use it. But keeping the secret's super important too.

  She was getting nervous though, and that wasn't good. Natalie stopped halfway down a street, leaning against the wall. She took a deep breath. Calm down. Everything's okay. I'm Natajenny Somethingshiredricks. I can take care of myself. It's just a stupid city.

  "Excuse me!"

  She looked up sharply. There was a guy standing in front of her, looking at her strangely. She felt defensive immediately, tucking her hand into her pocket where she kept one of her gemstones at the ready. The new emerald pendant on her necklace was ready to go too, just in case, but she doubted she'd need either of them just to take on one guy. He looked a little funny, like his face was melting off. One of his eyes pointed in the wrong direction, and he had a messy beard.

  "Hi," she said cautiously.

  "Sorry. I was just wondering if you knew what time it was?"

  That's it? Natalie shrugged. It was a weird question to make such a big deal out of, but whatever. She pulled out her phone and unlocked it in one quick motion. "It's about ten—" she started.

  His hand moved. Way too fast. She scrambled forward, but he'd already snatched it out of her hands. Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no!

  The guy took off. At the exact same moment, just as she'd started to move, the strap on her purse slid off her shoulder. She twisted around, and the strap fell off entirely.

  Another guy grabbed it, sprinting away in the opposite direction.

  Oh my god. They—

  What do I do? He has my phone. That phone has so many things on it that no one's supposed to know. But the other guy has my bag, and it's magic. What if he opens it?

  What am I supposed to do?

  An image of the purse's contents flashed in her mind. Gwen's fur. Her dad's drumsticks. Her mother's old locket. The photo of Jenny. Her gemstones. All the things she'd bought that day.