B2: Chapter 13 - The Emerald City (Part III) - III

"Where are we going?" Natalie asked, watching her feet as they walked along the sidewalk. She didn't want to look up at the city. The tall buildings weren't exciting anymore; now they cast shadows that hid terrible things waiting to leap out and hurt her at first chance.

  "To a market."

  "Like the Marketplace?"

  Cinza shook her head. "Kendra's Astral Market was a special one built for us. This is a place of much baser intentions." She stopped, taking another short break. This was one of many they'd taken, every few blocks.

  "Are you really okay?" she asked again tentatively.

  "...I'll be fine," Cinza repeated, but it was even less convincing than the last four times.

  "You don't seem okay. This place is dangerous, right?"

  "Yes." Cinza took a sip of water from her bottle. "You'll have to follow my lead, all right? I'd tell you not to speak to anyone, but unfortunately that just won't be an option. You stand out too much."

  Natalie glanced down at her clothes again. "I hate this stupid dress."

  "Really? I think it looks quite good on you."

  Natalie shook her head, her hand involuntarily going up to touch the bandage on her face again, which she immediately regretted.

  Cinza frowned. "The dress isn't the problem, is it?"

  "Huh?"

  "It's what happened to you while wearing it, right?"

  Natalie didn't answer. She kept staring at the concrete below them, while Cinza leaned up against the nearest wall. She didn't want Cinza to keep talking, but she couldn't bring herself to stop her.

  "I'm sorry, but I have to ask." Cinza paused, and for the first time since Natalie had first met her, showed hesitation. She looked uncertain. "Tell me what happened to you in the park."

  Natalie's eyes fell back to the concrete. She didn't want to think about it—didn't want to remember it at all, but the memory was burned into her brain, every painstaking horrible moment. Most of all, she didn't want anyone else to know. She never wanted anybody to know what she'd been through, what she'd let happen, what he'd almost done. She might not understand it all, but she understood enough. She had an idea of what he'd been trying to do, and it scared her more than anything else she'd been through that night.

  Cinza waited patiently, but after a few minutes it became clear Natalie wasn't going to answer her. Finally, she spoke again, and her voice wasn't echoing anymore. She still had her unusual accent, but it was plain and as comforting as she could manage. Natalie had never heard her normal voice before.

  "...If he touched you, or hurt you in any way, I hope you can tell me someday. I'm here to listen if you need me. But I want you to know something very important. Something I wish I'd been told when I was your age." Cinza reached out and grasped Natalie's hand. She wanted to get away, but Cinza held on firmly and didn't let go. "This is not your fault. You didn't do anything to deserve this. This wretched thing happened, and you aren't ever going to forget it, but you are not to blame."

  Cinza finally let go of her hand, and as she did, Natalie felt her urge to run and hide fall away as well. She still wanted to be alone, wanted to flee deep into the forest as far away from anyone who could hurt her, wanted to never be near another human being again—but for the first time, she felt a vague connection to Cinza, something beyond just a mysterious older girl with weird beliefs and weirder clothes.

  Natalie finally looked back up at Cinza's face, which was soft and full of concern. She continued speaking, in her quiet natural voice. "You can talk to me, anytime, about anything. I will never judge you for anything you've done, or anything that has been done to you. It doesn't need to be now, or ever, but when you're ready, I am here to listen."

  Natalie knew it should have made her feel better, but she still felt raw and beaten—like she was a broken doll that had been tossed out with the trash. Cinza may have found her, but she wasn't whole anymore. She'd lost something, and she didn't know how to find it anymore.

  But Cinza was trying to help, and even that tiny light was enough to give her hope. She still felt awful, but there was something she could move toward.

  As Cinza started walking again and Natalie fell in behind her, she finally spoke up.

  "She hates 'Nicole'."

  "I'm sorry?" Cinza said, falling back a few steps to match her.

  "Nikki hates being called Nicole."

  Cinza looked genuinely surprised. "She told you this?"

  "Kinda. Back when we used to play games at home. Whenever I was on her team, she made sure everybody knew not to call her that. She hates her full name."

  Cinza shook her head in bemusement. "She never said a word to me."

  "...You're kind of scary."

  She looked up at Natalie sharply, which was a new experience all on its own. Natalie was so used to people looking down at her, even at school. Most of the kids were growing faster than her. Cinza was shorter than her though, and Natalie was still growing. It felt strange.

  "I don't mean bad scary," Natalie went on. "I mean... intimidating. That's better, right? Like people are scared to talk to you sometimes."

  "That doesn't seem all that distinct," Cinza murmured.

  "I'm not scared though."

  "Oh?"

  "You never scared me. I just didn't like you."

  The corner of her mouth twitched. "Is that so? Did something change?"

  Natalie felt a tiny bit of mirth as she replied. "No. I still don't like you."

  As she said it though, she reached out and took Cinza's hand, holding tight. She still felt that revulsion, the nausea that she knew had nothing to do with Cinza, and she forced it down. She had to, if she ever wanted to be able to hold someone's hand ever again. Together, they walked through the dark streets, silver robe and green army jacket marking a truly odd sight for the few passersby in the dead of night.