Part 2

Natalie Ross

On the way to the park I was wrapped up in my thoughts. Mainly the one that had been pestering me this summer. Will I ever find a girlfriend?

My grade has about a whole entire 2 LGBT kids. Including myself. The likelihood of me finding a girlfriend was extremely low. But I could hope. I didn't even have anyone that I liked, or even wanted to date. But that still didn't keep my from wanting a girlfriend anyways.

I arrived at the park and Henry was already there, sitting on a swing.

"And she appears!" He teased, holding up his phone to show that it had in fact been 5 minutes and 10 seconds since we hung up.

I rolled my eyes and sat next to him. "I made it didn't I?"

"Eh. Maybe. How can I be sure you're really here?" He said raising his eyebrows.

"Like this," I punched him in the arm.

"Touché"

I rolled my eyes again and started to swing. "Are you ready for tomorrow?'

"I can't believe you'd even ask that. Of course I'm not. You know school sucks," he replied hastily.

"Yeah. But this year is going to be different. I mean, we're Freshman now. Top of the school. It's going to be great."

Most schools in the area had their freshman in the high school. But due to how packed our high school already was, the 9th grade was stuck in the middle school.

"You only say that because you've got your year set for you Madame. President," he told me.

"For one, not even. You're year is going to be great too. Everyone's will be. For two, is that nickname going to stick all year?" I asked giving him a joking glare.

"It's absolutely positively tutely will," he smiled satisfied.

For what felt like the hundredth time I rolled my eyes again. The name had been given to be by my Math teacher in 8th grade upon learning I would be this year's student body president. I guess it must have spread.

We continued to swing in silence before Henry spoke up again. Didn't take long as he loves to talk.

"How's the girlfriend hunt going?" he asked sarcastically.

I sighed. "Same as always. Zero luck. But the summer kind of postponed it. So maybe we might just get somewhere this year." I told him with equal sarcasm. "How about you?"

He laughed, "Who do you think I am? Some kind magician? I've had about as much luck as you."

"Looks like we can be loners together," I laughed and kept swinging.

The other two kids in our group were already in relationships. Mackenzie had a boy named Cole. And our other best friend Micah had a girl named Bree. Cole and Bree are cool, but dont really fit well in our little group. Mackenzie and Micah are really good and spending enough time with both our group and their significant others. So it worked out.

So many people have told me and Henry to date, but the fact that I like girls kind of interferes with that. Plus me and him have been friends since preschool, so why risk ruining such a good friendship even if I was straight.

Henry and I have been friends the longest. But we had a little separation period between 1st and 4th grade. We met Mackenzie in 3rd grade, and me and her became really good friends. Henry rejoined me and her in 5th grade, but you wouldn't be able to tell we were ever apart. We met Micah in 7th. Even though Micah came later, he still fit in really well.

We continued to swing and chat for about another hour, but then he had to head home. We went out separate ways and I continued to think on my way home.