Part 11

Cache Littman

I was not prepared for this. I signed up for Hope Squad to talk to and talk about others. Definitely not to talk about myself. I was glad I got to go last though. It felt like everyone's eyes were on me.

I took a breath and said what I had already came up with and repeated in my head 10 times. "I play 6 instruments, I love to perform, and I have wanted a dog for as long as I can remember."

I looked around the room to see what they were all thinking. I looked at Natalie. She was puzzled. Probably because she knew I wanted a dog, and couldn't decide between the other two.

"What are our guesses?" Mrs. Tanner said for the 15th time. Everyone said dog. Except for Natalie.

"Performing isn't my favorite. I'd rather record myself or play one on one," I said sheepishly.

I looked over to see Natalie's jaw all but on the floor in disbelief.

"Wait the talent show..." I heard someone mumble just a little over from me. It was Tysen.

"Yeah, that was a lot of my friends convincing," I laughed at Tysen's comment and Natalie's hole in her face.

"In that case, what instruments do you play?" Kodie piped up.

"Piano, Drums, Guitar, Ukelele, Xylophone, and Flute," I listed.

Once again, Natalie's jaw dropped. I couldn't help but giggle to myself. Despite all the things Natalie was, musical was not one of them, so that was something I had on her. But she had athletism and to that I couldn't compete.

The game was over, and we only had like two minutes left, so we were told to do whatever until the bell. I wasn't really sure what to do. I ended up pulling out a set of drumsticks from my backpack and using my desk.

"Flexing on us now are you?" Someone chuckled behind me. It's Natalie, my conscience immediately told me

I turned around and blushed. "Oh. No," I said pulling the drumsticks towards my stomach.

"I'm kidding," she smiled. "Keep going."

I felt better right away. I turned back to my desk and drummed a super simple song.

I could feel Natalie smiling behind me, and that gave me a sense of both comfort and pride. If playing music did anything for me, it was helping me make people happy.

I continued to play right up until the bell rang. Then I stood up and put the drumsticks away. I was starting on my way out the door when Natalie was right back beside me.

"You probably get told this, but you are really good," she told me. "I wish I had musical talent of any kind," she followed up with a laugh.

I smiled lightly at her comments. "Aren't you like a softball hotshot?" I asked her half serious half sarcastically.

Her face turned a slight shade of pink before she responded. "Mm. No," she then mumbled and looked at the ground.

I laughed. "Uh-huh. Like I believe that."

She looked back up and said, "Well, maybe so, but playing six instruments will forever be cooler."

"At least you can learn to play an instrument. Athletism is something I've never had, and never will have." I pointed out.

To that she laughed. "You underestimate the horrors that is me with music." She paused. "And being athletic just takes a little bit. You could definitely do it if you wanted."

"There is no way you could be that bad. And I gurantee that I could not."

"Bet," she then said in a serious tone.

I was caught a little bit off guard, but I responded without even thinking. "Bet," I mimicked.

"You see if you can do anything with this musical mess," she pointed to herself, "and I will prove to you that you can be an athlete."

"It's a deal," I told her once again without thinking.

"Alright," she chuckled.

We had made out way to the bus area, and we went to our separate buses.

Once again, I leaned back in my seat and wondered, What the heck did I just get myself into?