Part 19

Cache Littman

I sat on my bed doing something I thought I never in my life would do. I was watching a soccer game on my laptop.

The game I had gone to with Natalie had actually interested me a little. I understood not much of it. But I did want to try to learn a little more.

It had been about a week since the game and I was debating asking Natalie if she was going to go to the next one.

I looked down at my backpack. When I was at home I kept her jacket in it so I didn't have to explain to my family. When I was at school I kept it hidden in my blankets.

I knew I should probably return it to Natalie but there was something so comforting about having her jacket. Plus she hadn't asked for it back.

I pulled the jacket out of my backpack and placed it on my shoulders. It was light enough to breathe, but heavy enough to feel embracing. I loved it.

I heard my mom coming down the stairs and quickly shoved the jacket in my backpack.

"Are you watching sports?" my mom asked, coming into my room.

"Oh uh, yeah. There's another soccer game tommorow and I'm hoping to know a little bit more. It's also kind of interesting." I said quickly.

"Huh. My girl Cache being interested in sports. Never did I think. Before we know it you'll be watching those football games with your dad and Ryan"

I chuckled. "I'm not sure about that. Football's pushing it. Soccer has people I actually know and I've actually been to a game."

"Well if your getting into the school sports pride you should go to the football games. Some of my best memories are at those. I actually met your dad at a college game"

I paused for a second. "Yeah maybe I should."

The conversation stopped after that and my mom went back to whatever she had come downstairs for.

I wondered what it would be like to go to a football game with Natalie. The soccer game was lots of fun but it wasn't quite the same.

I imagined for a second being at a football game with her.

Chilly night watching the game. I have her jacket and her arm around me. The lights illuminating both our faces. The crowd cheering and the two of us cheering along. We look at each other, start to lean in and-

I snapped out of thought. I knew I liked her. That was inevitable. But I also knew I shouldn't like her. That was a mess waiting to happen. I tried to push away all thoughts of liking her.

Right then my phone chimed and I had a text from none other than Natalie herself.

Hey do you wanna go to the game again tomorrow. Last week was fun.

Yeah for sure. Last week was tons of fun.

For a little while we talked about random things, just casual conversation. I couldn't shake the feelings I had for her the whole time we talked.

I went to bed feeling very excited, but nervous for the next day.

Just as we had the week before, me and Natalie got on her bus and took it to her house.

We got to her house, dropped out backpacks off, and started off to the field. I made sure to grab my jacket this time, I didn't want to seem suspicious.

On the way to the field I decided to bring up the football games- minus the feelings of course.

"Hey um. Do you go to any other school games besides soccer?" I asked her.