1-1 : Just Another Shift

Somewhere in border of EU PAN and NSU, 6.15 am

"Did you see anything with the thermal?," ask the man navigating the drone.

"Negative," replied the other one, checking using his tablet.

"Infrared?"

"Same as thermal," he paused. "It's been an hour and half that we scouting the village. I don't think there's any activity, just another ruin, Kurtz."

"Just make sure before we leaving. Besides, the cloak doesn't much left power. Told you bring up some more packs," said Kurtz sarcastically.

"Hey, I brought usual like other shifts, didn't expected we got more reports than I thought."

Müller was right. Their reports today got twice than ever they got. Those reports said they're Sanvis Ferri's T-Dolls made far to west. Afraid become another part being dominated, Poland made contract with Hertz Kompanie, employer for those two men who scouting border between Pan EU and NSU.

Kurtz navigated the drone again, make sure nothing strange with those ruin. He checked the cloak's power left. Less than two, he murmured. Afraid the cloak didn't give much time. Then, he decide to call a day, "Wrap up, we're done here."

"About time you say that."

Both of them cleared their nest. As Kurtz bringing back drone to them, Müller pack up a portable antenna that they called for cloaking. "All pack up?" asked Kurtz, just finished packing up his drone.

"Yeah. Let's move."

Both of them start walking, leaving their nest undetected. Their Jeep just tens meters from the nest. As they arrived, Kurtz goes to his. He open the bonnet to put his drone, then a mild, young voice asked him, "So, anything happen? Are there any SF?"

"No Gl...," Kurtz replied, close the bonnet, walked to the driver seat and get in, continued what his talk just now, "...nothing was there. Just another false alarm."

"You sure?" a nervous voice spoke on behind Kurtz.

Kurtz look the mirror, looking PAW, a new T-Doll.

"I'm assured . Besides, our shift end just end right now. Plus, you guys don't much any batteries. Sleep now, Grenadiers."

"As you said," replied RGP 40, who sat shotgun seat. All of them include RGP turn into Sleep Mode, made them 'sleeping' to conserve their power.

Moments later, a radio implemented on dashboard beeping, and Muller's voice speak in, "You ready?"

Kurtz grabbed the radio, speak on the mic, "Yeah. After you."

Kurtz then radio to his HQ, "Silo-Five to Base, Over."

Static passing by. Moments later a responce, "This is Base to Silo-Five, how copy."

"This is Silo-Five, we have ending our shift. Returning to the nest, Over."

"Copy that. Have a safe journey, birds."

Both Jeeps start alive, revving up and they move out from the village.

********

Heading back to Warsaw HQ, 7.55 am

Kurtz followed Muller behind him. It may took hours heading back to Warsaw, he pressed the Cruise Mode button just in front the dashboard. He stretched up both hand, and held the steering with right hand, while the left one support his forehead for leaning. He glance the speedometer, 90 km/h. He thought, "Why so much Sanvi Ferri break through? What are they..."

SSUUUUUP..... BOOOOMMM!!!

An explosion snap his driving concentration. Muller's Jeep just in front of him flew up to right, rolling until stop in upside-down. He emergency brakes forcefully, forcing his Jeep stop instantly. Wheels stopped spinning, he look Muller' Jeep, at right side of road bank. Without hesitate, bang his door, rush to bonnet, grabbed his rifle and ammunition, yelled to his T-Doll, "Grenadiers!!! Wake Up!!! Get your equipment and follow me."

His T-Dolls that been 'slept' turn into 'woke up' as Kurtz yelled, commanding them. Kurtz swiftly rush toward to Muller's. He observe Muller, already knock out. Later he look Muller's T-Dolls, "Fuck, they're already black out."

"Kurtz!!!" GL 06 shout to him, accompanied with Inzuki PAW and RGP 40, run to him. GL 06 asked Kurtz, "What happen?! Why Muller in upside-down??"

"I don't know. But We're being ambushed," Kurtz paused, thinking. " GL, make a distress call. RGP, watch surrounding. PAW, come help me pry open these doors," Kurtz command each his T-Dolls.

All of them received the order precise. While GL 06 make a call, RGP stand behind the Jeep, pointing any direction, be prepared. Kurtz tell PAW to open up the back door, releasing the T-Doll so they've got extra hand. Moments later, RGP shout, "We've got company!!"

Kurtz looked where RGP pointing at. A platoon of T-Doll barge in towards them, the drones fly over the sky, cover the sunlight. Kurtz told to PAW, "PAW, let them stay. There's nt much time left."

"Grenadiers, get position yourself. Switch your ammunition to EMPs. If ran out, use anything you've got," Kurtz order RGP and PAW be prepared to counter the enemies attack that totally outnumbered them. He glanced to GL-06, asked her, "GL, how's the process?"

"Just any minute.... I've got it!!!"

"Great. Now stay in front the Jeep. We cover you," said Kurtz.

Kurtz line up beside RGP 40, in middle between him and PAW. "You think it's SFs?" asked RGP 40.

"Let's hope it's not them. They're really....."

SUUUPPP..... BAAANNG!!!!

Another explosion hit the ground. This time, it directly towards them, but luckily it hit far in front of them. But, the impact force them flew over back, including Kurtz, RGP and PAW. Kurtz is the one flung way back, sending forward to in front of the Jeep. 

As GL-06 still in call, she heard the hard landing, shocking. "Kurtz!! Kurtz!!!"

GL 06's voice became softer and softer, and the sound of bullets rain begun. Then again, Kurtz's body cannot move any muscle, only laid the ground.

*******