Ice Fishing

The days seemed to blend together. My once perfect concept of time blurred. How many days had we been away from the Cullens now? It had to be at least three days. I tried in vain to remember how many times I had watched the sun rise and set, but I couldn't seem to draw the images from my memory. All I could remember was moving through the forest at lightening speed, constantly turning to make sure my siblings were still behind me.

We were well out of the united States. I had never actually left the country, and didn't own a passport. Luckily, there were several unguarded points at the border, and my siblings and I didn't have to worry about using our uncanny speed to bypass border patrol. It wasn't like we would be in Canada for long, anyway. 

I wasn't quite sure when we crossed into Alaska, since we were traveling over huge mountains. There was snow everywhere, and though we moved fast enough to glide over the snow, I could see faint hints of our footprints behind us. Hopefully it would snow again soon an cover our tracks. The last thing we needed was a search for 'rogue hikers', since I was certain that no human could survive on this trail.

Alaska was a strange place. Though I was sure other parts were different, this one part seemed to be nothing but a land made of ice and snow. The ground was white. And there was nothing else. I saw no grass, no flowers, no tress. It was such a stark contrast to Washington State. I had grown used to the colors of green and brown that seemed to be everywhere. I had grown used to the brilliant colors of sprouting flowers and the varying shades of leaves as they fell from the trees. And I found myself missing all of the warm, vivid colors. 

 Continuing through the world of white, we had made our way over the mountain in a matter of minutes, and it only took a few long jumps to make it down the other side. Secretly, I wished for Ashlynn to drop into the snow and make an angel, or for Chris to roll snow into a ball and throw it at me. My siblings had always loved playing in snow. We had so rarely gotten it at home, and it was a rare treat to see the ground covered in the thick powder. 

Ashlynn and Chris didn't stop to play though. they didn't smile or laugh or point. They just followed behind me, looking at the ground as they moved. That was all they ever did anymore. It reminded me of how we were the first few days after Mom had died. It was different now. They were quieter. 

Needing to break the silence, I glanced around. "Hey look up there!" My siblings eyes immediately darted to where I was pointing, and I realized too late that they probably thought we were in danger. Once they realized it was just a bird, they seemed to relax, confirming to me that they had tensed up. Ashlynn sent me a dirty look and went back to glaring at her shoes as she walked. Chris, at least, attempted to give me a smile. It didn't reach his eyes.

So many times i had longed for exactly this. Leaving the Cullens. going back out on our own. But I had wanted things to go back to what they had been before. Pretending to be spies as we made our way through the forest. Jumping in the river and splashing eachother to get clean. Going from house to house, giggling as we snatched clothes off of lines hanging in strangers' yards. Feeling like every day was a constant adventure, with me as the Captain and my siblings looking up to me, waiting for me to come up with a new idea. 

There were no giggles now. There was no spying, or splashing, and our adventures had ceased long ago. It seemed that those confusing and stressful, yet fun, days had come and gone. In its place was a somber silence as we traveled, constantly looking over our shoulders. 

Was our Father still looking for us?

Had he realized we were no longer with the Cullens? 

Would he follow us?