Chapter twenty nine: the door opens

Lexan sat next to rook as the ship pulled in, he was back in the pilots seat, rook looked at the list of those who had signed the treaty "the pilock signed, but it looks like he did so grudgingly"

"How so?" Raan asked, cleaning his dagger, it was about the only thing he enjoyed more then scholarship.

"Well, he put underneath 'I better get paid for this' what a horrible creature" he scoffed, altan looked out the window as alavile came into view, avoiding eye contact with rook and the others.

***

As they landed, Lexan saw something he never thought he'd see outside of the mourning year, black roses and white tulips decorated a long road, as well as black banners fluttering in the breeze.

"Oh no" lexan mumbled, as he landed, the only one standing there was linn, and kis'na.

"Linn, what happened?" he asked the minute he was off the ship, she tried to hold back tears

"We were attacked" kis'na said softly, patting linn on the back "five cadets were killed while doing a training course......one of them was the little boy that the king saved"

Linn lost it, she cried hard into her hands, she had come to see him as a little brother, as he had come to see her as a sister.

Lexan hugged her "I promise you linn, ill make them pay" but she quickly shook her head

"Open retaliation would spark discontent among the people, we need to remain calm and deal with this properly.....no.....no matter how much it hurts us to do so...."

She broke down again, and Lexan led her back up the landing docks, while the others brought up the rear.

***

The king looked down the list of the ambassadors and leaders that had signed, and grimaced "is something wrong your highness?" Lexan asked, confused.

"Most of those who signed are just greedy pigs looking for money to plunder.....save for the thirty or forty honorable ones like the Terren and the raa'ga'kid....."

"So we need to keep an eye on them?" Lexan asked, sighing

"Yes, I'm afraid so.....this pilock that signed is going to be the worse for it....did you mention the in'stara?"

"Yes, I told them that they were the ones who gave us the tip off, they didn't seem pleased about it, and then they looked right pissed off that their working with us"

"Yes, they would, but they signed, so their discontent couldn't have been too bad"

Lexan chose not to tell him about the skulduggery that he had implored to get them to work with him. The king rolled up the paper and said;

"Right, you have a mission to return too, linn can remain here but kis'na is becoming a pain in the backside, she won't take it easy that you've left her behind"

"I can't risk her hormones getting the better of her and have her rapeing altan"

"And I really can't stand her bickering with every little order and bugging the daylights out of me due to boredom, please Lexan, she's driving us all insane"

Behind him kis'na said nothing.....

"Fine, but don't think I won't bring her back if she gets too hormonal"

The king nodded and when they all trooped away, kis'na winked at the king, which he returned with a smile.

***

Lexan lay beside his wife, her belly getting bigger by the day, and he loved her all the more for it.

Tomorrow they would be heading out to ashim, and their days of war against the rotting diseased.