chapter three

I don't really remember what time it was or where we were or what we were doing. All that I remember is the city's bells ringing and booming throughout the whole Troy, freezing every single citizen in his tracks. Because these bells only meant one thing; war. Although it was expected, I still felt cold shivers running through my whole body at the dread sound.

The rest of the citizens though... they couldn't have seen it coming. So after the bells rang to let us know there are enemies approaching, a chaos broke out. People started screaming, running up and down Troy's streets, hiding inside their houses. Women and kids crying, men running towards where Hector always gathers the army in such situations.

I ran to the palace. On my way to father's room I saw Paris looking so lost, desperately trying to comprehend the chaos happening around him. The chaos he caused. Our eyes lock and I give him a disappointing, almost pitiful look. I don't like blaming things on others but this is entirely his fault and I don't care about his mental well-being. Right now he has to see - feel - what he's caused.

Hector is already at Father's private balcony with him when I get there. Approaching them, I follow their gazes and loudly gasp at what I see. My knees can't seem to support my weight, tears pricking my eyes. Because in the distance, thousands of ships are sailing towards us. Thousands of Greek ships. And they are all here to destroy us.

"Amelia! Go get the men, we don't have time to waste. Meet me in front of the walls. We're winning this war." Hector states, a furious but decisive look on his dark eyes.

I immediately obey my older brother and run to get changed into my armor, grab my silver sword and shield and gather Troy's army in front of the walls. Hector arrives minutes later in his own strong armor on a horse and stares at the hundreds of soldiers around him.

"Trojans! Has anyone ever beaten us?" He screams but receives no response.

"I asked you something!"

"NO!" We answer all together.

"No one's ever managed to break these walls down and get inside our city! No one! And you know we've fought with loads of armies before! Strong armies! This battle won't be any different from the others; we'll do what we know best and send those pigs back to their country. FOR TROY!!" Hector aggressively screams.

"FOR TROY!" We all scream back in unison and everyone takes their respective places. Hector helps me on my horse and we wait for the enemy to arrive.

The battle is crazy. The Greeks are countless but our army has done a good job keeping them away from the walls so far. Every time I stab a person with my sword and the blood splatters all over my face I try to suppress the urge to throw up. I know I'm amongst the best fighters in Troy but it's been so long since I've last went out to the battlefield. It doesn't feel right.

I turn around in time to dodge a Greek's attack, slicing his throat with my sword and watching as he slowly falls to the ground.

"Amelia!"

My head snaps to Hector's direction who's having a hard time fighting with Ajax. Oh no. He's going to kill him! I immediately run towards them and manage to stab Ajax on the nape before he gives the final hit to my brother. He angrily growls as he turns around, grabs me by the neck and lifts me from the ground. Hector stands up and tries to attack him again but Ajax grabs him too and does the same as with me. He's now holding the both of us, choking us to death. Everything around me starts to turn black from the lack of oxygen, but I gather up all my strength. Determined, I raise my sword and stab the enemy's chest while he's busy choking us. His eyes widen as he looks at me. I pull my sword back and dip it again inside of him, lower this time. He groans, blood coming out of his mouth. He slowly realeases our necks and starts falling down, us falling with him. I scream at the impact of Ajax's whole weight crashing onto me as we fall to the ground. I breathe in and out, touching my throbbing throat and glaring at the blood oozing out of a bad-looking wound on my left arm and leg. Next to me Ajax's lifeless eyes have almost popped our of their sockets as they creepily stare at me. I extend my hand to close his eyelids then look up only to find out that most of Troy's army has formed a protective circle around us to prevent enemies from coming to us.