chapter eleven

To say that I didn't get any sleep would be an understatement.

I was tossing and turning in bed the whole night, dreadful thoughts creeping up in my head and not letting me bat an eyelash. I couldn't close my eyes without seeing in front of me Hector's dead body on the ground.

I can't let this happen. I can't lose my brother, Troy can't lose its prince and best protector. I must persuade Hector to let me go out there instead; although I know there's no point in doing that.

However, the thoughts of losing Hector weren't the only ones keeping me up. I couldn't help but think of Achilles as well. This man is the only one who's managed to make me feel this way; love and truly wanted. Wanted for me, Amelia, and not just my face and body. I really think he's the one and I can't bear to lose him. I can't bear to lose neither of them; they're equally important to me at this point.

And now the sun is up and Paris has just left my room, after waking me up and letting me know that Hector will soon head out to the battlefield. I slowly get up from my bed and approach the window, pulling apart the white curtains and staring outside.

The sky is more blue and clear than any other day and the suns sends his warm, golden rays down here. It seems as if it's smiling sarcastically at me, as if mocking me and telling me that I'll soon lose one of the two most important people in my life. What an irony; the weather is great yet I'm feeling cold and empty inside.

Sighing, I get dressed and exit my room. I meet up with Fathet and Paris in the hallway and the three of us make our way up the walls; a heavy and depressing silence between us. We all know what's to come so words aren't really needed.

As soon as we reach the walls, my heart shatters into a million pieces at the sight in front of me. Andromache has clung onto my older brother, ugly crying and begging him not to go.

"You can't do this, Hector! You can't abandon us like that, we just started our family! Think about our son.. he needs a fatherly figure to grow up properly. W-what am I going to tell him later when he'll be asking about you?"

I've never seen Andromache so broken and desperate before. My heart feels heavy just by watching them and I can't even begin to think how she must be feeling right now. Her husband is heading towards his own death and their son isn't even one year old. Her tears are unstoppable and she's at the point of completely losing it as she grasps Hector's armor and tries to hold him back.

Hector sighs - him barely being able to hold back his tears himsel - as he hugs his wife and tries to console her.

"I wish I could watch Scamandrius grow up. See him getting older, stronger and more handsome. Witness his first love, his first heartbreak, even his first fight." He whispers as Andromache is shaking in his embrace.

"You can! Please, don't go!"

"I know you're gonna do well on your own. You're gonna bring him up with principles and tell him stories about his father being the best fighter in Troy."

Andromache refuses to hear anything and cries even louder as Hector softly kisses her head and pulls away from her. Not being able to bear this, she falls on her knees and covers her face. My heart aches and I badly want to reach out to her.

Helen sniffles next to me as Hector approaches her to give her a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry, Hector. It's all my fault, if I never had followed you here in the first place nothing would've happened. You would happily bring your son up alongside Andromache and feel proud of him. You would protect your city and family and-"

"Shh, this is not your fault Helen. It was bound to happen someday, we all know it. Now I want you to be strong and stay by Paris's side, alright? He needs you more than anything." Hector interrupts Helen, gently caressing her face. She nods and wipes her tears away as Hector moves on to Paris.