chapter four

The time's 3 am and I've been twisting and turning in bed since 12, when I laid down. The day was so rough and I can't seem to stop thinking about Hector's injury. So I don't think I'll be getting any sleep tonight.

Getting off of bed, I wear my night gown and head outside to get some fresh air. However, in one of the palace's long hallways I sense movement. I quickly hide behind a wall and peek, only to see a figure dressed in all black speed-walking suspiciously.

It can't be our enemy, right? How would Greeks get through the walls and the whole city and then enter our palace?

Just to be sure, I grab a heavy vase that happened to be close to me and tiptoe behind the figure. I grab them from the long black clothing and quickly spin them around... only to be met with Helen.

"Helen? What do you think you're doing? I was about to hit you!" I exclaim, motioning towards the vase I'm holding.

Helen's face is distressed, her eyes red and puffy as if she had been crying. Her lower lip quivers and I frown.

"Hey what's wrong?" I place my hand on her shoulder and she pushes it away.

"I'm leaving, Amelia." She says, her voice cracking in the end.

"Leaving? Where are you going?"

"I'm running away. Away from Troy and Paris. I'm gonna surrender myself back to Menelaus. This can't keep up for a long time. You saw what happened today out there! Hector and you - the best and most experienced fighters of Troy - were almost killed. I caused all of this, Amelia! And I'll be the one to end it."

Helen has tears streaming uncontrollably down her face, the dark circles beneath her eyes too prominent now. She's broken. I can tell she feels bad and guilty about all of this; I can even make out a hint of regret in her eyes and words. She's regretted following Paris here.

"No Helen, you aren't going anywhere. You hear me? Anywhere! You're not just gonna give yourself away like that. The damage has already been done, Helen. The Greeks are here and they'll do everything it takes to see this city breaking down. Whether you return to Menelaus or not. It's not about you anymore. It's about wanting to rule this city; grasp its location and make this place theirs. So don't you dare step out of this palace. You're just gonna get yourself killed. Plus, what about Paris? I thought you loved him."

I shake Helen by her shoulders, trying to breathe some sense into her empty head. She's so reckless; what was she even about to do?

"I do love him! More than anything. That's why I have to leave. I want to protect him, can't you understand?" Helen shouts and I sigh.

"Don't you get it? Menelaus and his brother, Agamemnon, don't give a single shit about you! All they want is this city. So do yourself a favor and return back to your room." I spit out harshly. I know my words must have hurt her, but she needs to understand. Her being abducted by Paris was a lame excuse to start this war and it's far from the real reason for all of this.

"What is happening here?"

We both turn around to Hector's sleepy voice. He's limping, holding onto his stomach with one hand and rubbing the sleep off his puffy eyes with the other.

My eyes widen at the sight of him. "Hector?! Why the hell are you on your feet? The doctor said you can't leave your bed for at least five days." I tell him although I myself don't believe my words. There's no way Hector would stay in bed when his city is in danger. But it's nighttime now.

"I asked first," He simply answers me and I turn to look at Helen. She hangs her head low, probably feeling ashamed for acting without thinking first.