chapter 5

I woke up with a start. I felt a little bit energized so I slowly observed my surroundings. I was in a spacious room with beautiful decorations. The space was spotless and well arranged. It looked very nice and homely.

At the thought of home I felt a pang in my heart. Then memories started flowing. I remembered my birthday and then the strangers. After that I couldn't remember much.

I decided to rise and survey my surroundings. When I stood up my legs nearly gave out so I braced myself against the headboard. I walked in small steps careful to not fall. It felt like I hadn't walked in so long. I checked the room out. It was mainly decorated with flowers and several trees. There was pictures of people who I guessed belonged to the same family line. I studied them until I reached the first one which also looked like the oldest.

It was the picture of a very beautiful woman. So beautiful such that the beauty of the other people in the other frames seemed small and insignificant. When I looked closer, a sense of familiarity washed over me. I couldn't pinpoint where but I felt like I had met this woman. But that couldn't be possible. The photo seemed very old so there was no way I had met her. I tried to remember something but it couldn't come to me. It seemed like a piece of a puzzle was missing.

I finally stopped trying to force the piece of memory and thought to myself that I would remember at the right time. My brain must be too tired to bother remembering, although it seemed to be just a grasp away.

I continued surveying the place. I checked the bathroom and decided it was the most elegant and most beautiful bathroom I've ever seen. Well that was true since I'd never seen anything like this or near this back at The Home. I was used to a normal bathroom that was shared among the people living with me.

Next I checked the closet. It was a walk in closet!! It was filled with so many clothes which looked very expensive and elegant. Whoever lived in here must be pretty loaded! I dreamily touched the beautiful gowns. They were so soft!  Next in line was trousers and shorts. They also looked really expensive. Then there was an array of tops arranged with much care it seemed. And then the sweaters came last. Wow this place was every girls dream. We only saw such in movies so it was somewhat unbelievable. It felt like a dream.

I finally went back to the room and felt the exhaustion finally kick in. I decided to lay down on the King size bed which was so comfy. I loved this room but it seemed out of my league and I had learnt to do without many comforts. As I started dozzing off, my stomach growled. It was so loud and I flushed red! What if somebody had been in here?  I'd have been very embarrassed.

My body wanted food. Like instantly!  I love eating and I take food importantly. So I was torn on what to do. I didn't know this place nor anybody here. Finally giving in to what my stomach demanded, I decided to venture out and find food.
As I was getting put of bed the door finally opened startling me.

In came the lady that was together with the strangers I had met. Seeing her made me realise that the room must have been hers. She must have let me stay for a few hours and then maybe I'd be taken to normal quarters.

The lady looked very surprised and shock was also evident on her facial expression. "You're awake already! Omg I'm so surprised!" she exclaimed. I started wondering to myself why she was surprised. Just sleeping. And then I started becoming anxious. Maybe I had overslept. Maybe they were angry at me. But I couldn't pinpoint anger in her features.
She seemed to notice my puzzlement because her next words surprised and shocked me probably more than she was for finding me awake.

"You've been out of it for two weeks!"    Oh, that's not possible! I thought to myself.  But the lady went on to tell me that they had been very worried whether or not I would wake up.
Out of instinct I blurted out that I was hungry. As if on cue my stomach growled again! And for that matter louder than the last growl!  I blushed so hard  and wished my stomach could have a little bit of respect. The lady laughed out loud and that made my blush intensify.

The lady who finally told me her name was Gabby, seemed nice. She told me to have a shower and change then she would escort me out to get some food. I hesitated not knowing whether I was supposed to use the bathroom inside this room and I also couldn't help but wonder what clothes I would change into.

I was in a gown currently so and I kinda stinked. No like I really stinked!! So the gown was ruled out. Again as if the Gabby knew my predicament, told me I was free to use the bathroom and find a change of clothes in the closet.

I was about to thank her when again she shocked me by telling me that all the things in here were mine. I sat there looking at her as if she'd grown two heads. I couldn't believe that. It has to be a dream! I said to myself. The lady nodded towards the bathroom and I walked slowly still in some kind of stupor.

When it finally sunk, I let out an exaggerated girly squeal. Even though it might not be true, I allowed myself to think it was. Hence I enjoyed the shower and took forever in finding an outfit in the heavenly closet. I went for a high-waisted black soft jeans paired with a dark grey hoodie and white sneakers.
I felt so good and I had momentarily forgotten my hunger until my stomach let out a very fierce growl. I quickly went out of the closet and into the room to find Gabby.

She smiled and appraised my choice of attire and made me feel extra good. I sheepishly thanked her and reminded her of the promised food. Wow I thought to myself, hunger can make me familiarise with a total stranger. Though it didn't feel like she was a stranger. I felt an odd connection that I didn't understand though I didn't comment.
Finally we left to go find food and I couldn't help being excited.

❤️